Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: S-23 warm?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
S-23 warm?
« on: August 18, 2022, 05:00:45 pm »
Those who don’t like S-23 need not respond.

My chest freezer is on a switched outlet. The wife actually accidentally switched it off when I was at work so the beer warmed up to 68F. This was brewed last night and it was pitched warm. It was at 58F this morning and now is on its way back down from 68F.

Should I just expect more esters? Any feedback from those with experience would be much appreciated.

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: S-23 warm?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 06:11:53 pm »
I pitched onto 23 slurry from a Czech pils that was kegged last night. First time using this yeast. It had been sitting at 30f for about 10 days and was fermented cold with two packs. Early results are pretty terrible. I know a lot of people don’t like this yeast. I’m not getting a fruitiness but am definitely getting a gym sock thing that I’m very sensitive to in lagers. I suppose it could be an infection. May have two bad batches on my hands…
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:33:47 pm by Iliff Ave »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 07:23:01 pm »
I really like S-23.

I’m sorry if your beer doesn’t work out. I have never fermented beer with S-23 above 58F. I have fermented ciders in the high sixties with it. But, I don’t know if that has any relevance to beer.

I am not sure about the gym sock thing. Maybe it will age out.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »
looking forward to how it turned out. theres always a desire for more dry lager yeast datapoints out there, and prices have gone up for me so S189 and W34/70 are at $9.49 and $8.99 a pack, s-23 and diamond are both $6.49 still. always curious about this yeast, but the results people give are so mixed.

bookmarked

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:34:52 pm »
I really like S-23.

I’m sorry if your beer doesn’t work out. I have never fermented beer with S-23 above 58F. I have fermented ciders in the high sixties with it. But, I don’t know if that has any relevance to beer.

I am not sure about the gym sock thing. Maybe it will age out.
Yes this is one day in the keg so I’m not assuming it will be bad yet. It’s just very different than young lagers I have made before which could point to a different problem. Thanks for your feedback.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 07:48:50 pm by Iliff Ave »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 07:36:18 pm »
looking forward to how it turned out. theres always a desire for more dry lager yeast datapoints out there, and prices have gone up for me so S189 and W34/70 are at $9.49 and $8.99 a pack, s-23 and diamond are both $6.49 still. always curious about this yeast, but the results people give are so mixed.

bookmarked
Dude go to rite brew for your dry yeast. I don’t think they have anything over $5 and their shipping is great! I think they have s-23 and diamond for like $3.89 right now

I have had great results with 189, 34/70, and diamond so thought I’d give 23 a shot…
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 07:44:53 pm by Iliff Ave »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 07:47:07 pm »

bookmarked
Dude go to rite brew for your dry yeast. I don’t think they have anything over $5 and their shipping is great! I think they have s-23 and diamond for like $3.89 right now

I have had great results with 189, 34/70, and diamond so thought I’d give 23 a shot…

thanks, im sort of increasing the planning detail of my brews these days, so i will check if they ship a big order to canada. it'd be worth it if i plan ahead and buy several dry packs

also planning to do a fairly warm ferment with w34/70 this fall

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 08:08:15 pm »

bookmarked

thanks, im sort of increasing the planning detail of my brews these days, so i will check if they ship a big order to canada. it'd be worth it if i plan ahead and buy several dry packs

also planning to do a fairly warm ferment with w34/70 this fall
Like many I’ve had great luck with it in the mid 60sF. Never had a reason to go warmer 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 08:08:37 pm »
I have used S-23 about 5 times and have liked it quite a bit. It was never very fruity for me, but I never used it above 55 degrees. I will be interested on how this turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 08:10:25 pm »
Should I just expect more esters?

My crystal ball is broken, and so I can't answer this. But even if it was working, what good is it? You can't undo that (temporarily) high-fermentation situation. Let your own palate be your guide, it does not matter what anyone else thinks. Maybe it'll be great, maybe it'll be a dumper. But if you know beer at all, the gym sock thing doesn't sound promising.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 09:27:27 pm »
Should I just expect more esters?

My crystal ball is broken, and so I can't answer this. But even if it was working, what good is it? You can't undo that (temporarily) high-fermentation situation. Let your own palate be your guide, it does not matter what anyone else thinks. Maybe it'll be great, maybe it'll be a dumper. But if you know beer at all, the gym sock thing doesn't sound promising.
You are 100% correct. Just curious about people’s experience with it warm. Ended up being a post about two different beers which wasn’t my intention 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 08:10:10 am »

bookmarked

Yes.
They also have dme for $10 something, if you extract brew several of those cover the cost of shipping.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 08:28:45 am »
By all accounts, S23 works better at warmer temps than colder.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 10:35:02 am »
All? That doesn't sound like something you would say...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 02:15:10 pm »
All? That doesn't sound like something you would say...

Let's try again...many report that S23 works better at warmer temps.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell