Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rice Syrup Solids for Extract Lager?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Rice Syrup Solids for Extract Lager?
« on: August 22, 2022, 08:43:01 am »
Hey, I was thinking about brewing the japanese style rice lager the AHA sent out recently, but I'm doing extract only for a while while I'm short on time. Any thoughts on converting it to extract? I was thinking about trying some rice syrup solids, but would it be better using some flaked rice? Or would it be better to replace with some sugar instead?

https://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/815645.htm
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/domo-arigato-hoppy-japanese-style-rice-lager/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rice Syrup Solids for Extract Lager?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 08:51:46 am »
Nothing wrong with using the rice syrup solids. Flaked rice will need to be mashed, so you'll have to do at least a partial mash. Sugar will work, but give you a slightly different character.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 04:04:38 pm »
The rice in that recipe represents about 40% of the fermentables which seems really high to me.  To convert it you could use 3.3 pounds of extra-light DME with 2.2 pounds of rice syrup solids and get the right gravity and percentage.  That said I might try to make up those 5.5 pounds of extract with 4.5 of DME and 1 of rice or maybe 4 pounds of DME and then 1.5 pound of rice syrup solids so you're not SO high on the rice.  Honestly not sure how 40% would taste in the finished beer.  Then just follow the hops schedule and you're off and ready.   
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 07:34:30 am »
Some shops sell dry rice extract.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women