Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can I make an all in one with my Inkbird ipb-16s PID.  (Read 634 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Can I make an all in one with my Inkbird ipb-16s PID.
« on: August 20, 2022, 04:49:59 pm »
Let me start with 220v is not an option.

I have an ipb-16s and a heating element on my rims tube.  I also have a bayou classic 10 gallon boil kettle and a chugger pump.

My plan is to put a weldless triclamp bulkhead in the pot and use my PID to run it like a Clawhammer. I would use a brewbag and a false bottom. I also plan to use a hot rod heat stick to help boil.  I do not brew over 5 gallons at a time.

Will this work well?  I plan to put in a recirc port at some point for whirlpooling.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 04:51:57 pm by soymateofeo »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Can I make an all in one with my Inkbird ipb-16s PID.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 10:42:03 pm »
I recommend going with a Blichmann BoilCoil. That heating coil is ultra-low watt density so you won't need a false bottom to avoid scorching a bag. You also will not scorch your wort and develop caramelized sugars all over your heating element and the associated nasty flavors in your beer. Less maintenance, better beer. It may take a bit longer to get to a boil, but my experience is that the end result is better.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 06:40:51 pm »
If the idea is to just maintain a mash temp after infusing with hot water, then my guess is that this might work for the mash.  I really doubt that running wort through a rims tube will replace boiling.  Maybe with a heat stick, maybe not.  Is a good old fashioned propane burner not in the cards?

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:27:41 am »
I am going to scavenge the heating element from the rims tube.  The element will go in the pot.