Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1099 nothing day 3  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Wyeast 1099 nothing day 3
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 08:21:35 pm »
I have also seen many people criticize MJ's for starting slow for some reason.  I bought some M76 and then saw so many stories about how one could pitch TWO packs of it and still wait days for fermentation to start.  I never used the M76.  That may not be fair but I try very hard not to gamble with my beer or the time it takes me to make it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wyeast 1099 nothing day 3
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 06:45:51 am »
+1. One of my pet peeves is a slow, sluggish fermentation.  That’s why I don’t use the ‘pack a batch’ pitching method. I use the mfr’s recommendation and calculate the pitch rate based on temp, OG, and volume but if even that would produce a slow start or sluggish ferment I would not use the product again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:15:30 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 08:03:02 am »
I don't worry about the onset of fermentation until it gets to 72 hours. My experience has benefits it just doesn't matter...at least to me. Beer turns out the same whether a slow start or fast start.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 08:31:56 am »
I don't worry about the onset of fermentation until it gets to 72 hours. My experience has benefits it just doesn't matter...at least to me. Beer turns out the same whether a slow start or fast start.

Surprisingly enough, I have found that the beer from a sluggish start to fermentation will often finish just as quickly as a fast starter that tails off at the end of fermentation....just anecdotal comparing Tilt information.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 12:15:21 pm »
I have also seen many people criticize MJ's for starting slow for some reason.  I bought some M76 and then saw so many stories about how one could pitch TWO packs of it and still wait days for fermentation to start.  I never used the M76.  That may not be fair but I try very hard not to gamble with my beer or the time it takes me to make it.

IIRC, there were a boat load of complaints of long lag times with BRY-97 a year or 2 ago. I used it a few times and never had that problem. Maybe I just live a charmed life:) Like Denny, I don't worry about slow starts. It's the finished product that counts. As long as I've got suppliers for MJ. it will remain my go-to brand.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

Wyeast 1099 nothing day 3
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 01:41:41 pm »

IIRC, there were a boat load of complaints of long lag times with BRY-97 a year or 2 ago. I used it a few times and never had that problem. Maybe I just live a charmed life:) Like Denny, I don't worry about slow starts. It's the finished product that counts. As long as I've got suppliers for MJ. it will remain my go-to brand.
I use Bry-97 about 90% of the time.  I’ve waited three days on it when I didn’t use the mfr recommended pitch rate. But now that I use the mfr recommended pitch rate I routinely see ~16 hrs lag time. I get very consistent results.

YMMV.

If you’re getting the results you expect from MJ I see no reason to change.