Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dirty keg  (Read 844 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Dirty keg
« on: August 28, 2022, 04:07:00 pm »
I had a keg with beer outside of the fridge and forgot about it.  It started to smell like vinegar on the outside from spilled beer and I decided to clean the s***ake out of it. It did not smell like vinegar inside the keg.  I am lactobug phobic.  I put all of the parts in my sous vide for 3 hours at 165 with pbw and the keg at 165 for an hour. I will sanitize with starsan and change all of the gaskets. 

Am I good or do I need to do anything else?  I wish I had an autoclave.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Dirty keg
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 01:59:03 pm »
That should be more than enough. I don't clean and sanitize my sour kegs differently from my regular beer kegs - I clean the keg, soak the small parts in detergent solution, reassemble and fill with Starsan.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 03:38:31 pm »
You could fill with boiling water after your process and re-assembly.  I know some guys that do that as part of their routine.  I just use a kegwasher with alkaline wash solution (Craftmeister), rinse well and sanitize with Iodophor solution, which I then push out with CO2 (either by bottled CO2 or active fermentation ).  Good luck - I am sure that you will be good to go.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 09:39:42 am »
Sometimes if a keg is funky I will fill with boiling water. If I want to be sure I pull the posts and poppets and boil those too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 07:01:03 pm »
Thanks team.  I feel much better.  I hate brewing a batch and having a bug.  It has only happened maybe 5 times in 20 years but it hurts the soul every time