Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crystal 40 / Caramunich  (Read 953 times)

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
Crystal 40 / Caramunich
« on: August 23, 2022, 07:03:30 pm »
So JZ's Red Rocket clone uses Crystal 40 and Munich

9.5 lb. Pale 2 Row (3 SRM)
0.5 lb. Victory (25 SRM)
1.0 lb. Crystal 40 (40 SRM)
0.5 lb. Crystal 120 (120 SRM)
1.0 lb. Munich (10 SRM)
0.25 Lb. Chocolate (200 SRM)

What are your thoughts on just adding 1-2 lbs. of Caramunich?

T
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:07:50 pm by TxAleWorks »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Crystal 40 / Caramunich
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 07:36:17 pm »
Doing that would be assuming that caramunich is just a blend of munich and crystal. I could see possibly subbing the crystal for caramunich…
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 07:55:38 pm »
Doing that would be assuming that caramunich is just a blend of munich and crystal. I could see possibly subbing the crystal for caramunich…

I have never used caramunich before, my assumption is that is a crystal version of regular Munich, and taking and taking out the pound of Munich and C-40, and replacing it with 1-2 pounds of caraM, gets me "close" and simplifies the grain bill.

Or I could be wrong....that has happened before

once.....

T

Offline tommymorris

Crystal 40 / Caramunich
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 08:38:43 pm »

I have never used caramunich before, my assumption is that is a crystal version of regular Munich, and taking and taking out the pound of Munich and C-40, and replacing it with 1-2 pounds of caraM, gets me "close" and simplifies the grain bill.

Or I could be wrong....that has happened before

once.....

T
Caramel is a caramel/crystal malt. You can get close subbing a similar color version of caramunich for the C40. Caramunich is not caramelized Munich malt. You can’t approximate Caramel and Munich by adding caramunich. Munich is a base malt. It is drier with a more intense malt flavor (to me). Caramel malts are sweet and in the C40 range have some caramel flavor.

So, you’re proposed substitution would make a sweeter amber ale versus a more dry version from the original recipe.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 08:41:31 pm by tommymorris »

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 08:41:17 pm »
In the end, I will more than likely brew the original grain bill with my hop schedule, I was just asking to pursue some knowledge

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 08:42:29 pm »
In the end, I will more than likely brew the original grain bill with my hop schedule, I was just asking to pursue some knowledge
I like amber ales. I think either way would make a good beer.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 09:36:33 pm »
I found this in my notes on Caramunich. I do not know if it is accurate but I add it for your consideration.

Crystal vs Caramel Malt
by Mike Reintz, 2014:

There was an interesting article in Brew Your Own back in October of 2013 regarding Crystal Malt versus Caramel Malt. I shared these highlights with the homebrew shop staff at 3 Stars, but I think BURPers will find it interesting as well! The actual article is 7 pages long, but here’s a bulleted summary:

1. For all intents and purposes, Crystal and Caramel Malt mean the same thing.
2. Crystal Malt is specifically the English version where the malt is Roasted at low temperatures in the presence of moisture.
3. Caramel Malt can be either Roasted or Kilned. Roasting and Kilning are not the same thing though. Therefore, all Crystal Malt is Caramel Malt, but not all Caramel Malt is Crystal Malt.
4. Briess, one of the major U.S. malt houses, does in fact Roast their Caramel Malts, so those are interchangeable when a recipe specifically calls for Crystal Malt (matching for color of course).
5. When Roasting, 90%+ of the grain is crystallized. When Kilning, only about 50% is, and the remaining portion is more like a traditional highly kilned malt (such as Munich or Vienna).
6. Weyermann, for example, makes CaraMunich and CaraVienna malt by creating Kilned Caramel Malts–half ends up being Crystal Malt and the other half is Munich or Vienna (depending on temperatures).
7. Briess doesn’t do any Kilning for their Caramel varieties. Their CaraMunich 60L, for example, is actually just a blend of Caramel 60L and regular Munich Malt. Likewise, their CaraVienne 20L is a blend of Caramel 20L and Vienna Malt.
8. Based on all that, if you’re looking for a Lovibond rating of CaraMunich or CaraVienne that you can’t find, just do a 50/50 blend of Caramel Malt and Munich/Vienna. For example, CaraMunich 40L = 50% Caramel 40L + 50% Munich. CaraVienne 80L = 50% Caramel 80L + 50% Vienna.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 07:23:39 am »
Cara Munich is not a Munich malt. It's a crystal malt. Cara Munich 40L would be a perfectly fine sub for Cara 40 but not for regular Munich malt.