Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crisp maris otter  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Crisp maris otter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 07:39:48 am »
I brew a fair amount of British ales, but I'm a little ashamed to admit that I haven't played with too many British hop varieties outside of EKG, Fuggle, Challenger, and Target. I'm interested to hear what other varieties you have and what you think of them.

+1

I just got 19 ozs (9 different varieties) of British hops to go along with the maris otter, from Annapolis homebrew supply.

Also, any idea what the harvest year of these hops are?  They have varieties that are hard to get elsewhere so I am interested. …but only if they’re fresh.
I'm assuming they are fresh. When I asked about a couple varieties that were "out of stock" I was told they could access some older vintages if I wanted.
Send them an email and ask about any you're interested in.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:41:49 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 09:07:27 am »
Got a bag of #19 Crisp maris otter. Time to nail down my recipes for the next 10-11 batches.

Oh, man, that's a delicious malt.
I just mashed 5.5 lbs for a three gallon batch of best bitter. After the boil the entire house smells awesome.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 04:24:00 am »
I just used up the remnants of a sack on an ordinary bitter -I need to rider some more.  Good stuff.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 12:20:31 pm »
Great malt. Using my normal procedure with briess or great western pale ale malt I usually get 1.044 in 3 gallons. With this I got 1.051 in 3.25 gallons.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2024, 09:39:09 pm »
Coming in way late but this is my favorite malt.   Been using it for over 25 years, Crisp floor malted Maris Otter in its various incarnations.  Here was a present to myself a year ago.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 07:27:21 am »
Is this the same malt that is sometimes called Glen Eagles?  Or is that a different Crisp M.O.?

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2024, 08:13:31 am »
 "1.5 - 1.8 °L - Crisp Malt - Crisp No. 19 Maris Otter Malt (formerly Gleneagles Maris Otter) is an heirloom varietal that is World renowned for its deep, rich flavor.  It is considered Heirloom because it is an old variety with a very low yield of 1.5-2 tons per acre.  Modern varietals now produce up to 4 tons per acre.  Why do farmers grow Maris Otter when new high-yield, disease resistant varietals are available? Because Craft Brewers around the World are willing to pay a premium for the complex, authentic pub flavor that Maris Otter provides."

"Please note this is the distinguished Glen Eagles version of Crisp Maris Otter. Crisp produces two types of the Maris Otter malt. A regular version malted in modern silos and this exclusive Glen Eagles version of their Maris Otter that is floor malted by hand in the traditional way. This malt is obviously great for all English style Ales but is perfectly suited for any beer where you want a rich, bready malt flavor."

from MoreBeer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 08:33:45 am »
"1.5 - 1.8 °L - Crisp Malt - Crisp No. 19 Maris Otter Malt (formerly Gleneagles Maris Otter) is an heirloom varietal that is World renowned for its deep, rich flavor.  It is considered Heirloom because it is an old variety with a very low yield of 1.5-2 tons per acre.  Modern varietals now produce up to 4 tons per acre.  Why do farmers grow Maris Otter when new high-yield, disease resistant varietals are available? Because Craft Brewers around the World are willing to pay a premium for the complex, authentic pub flavor that Maris Otter provides."

"Please note this is the distinguished Glen Eagles version of Crisp Maris Otter. Crisp produces two types of the Maris Otter malt. A regular version malted in modern silos and this exclusive Glen Eagles version of their Maris Otter that is floor malted by hand in the traditional way. This malt is obviously great for all English style Ales but is perfectly suited for any beer where you want a rich, bready malt flavor."

from MoreBeer

That No. 19 is great stuff
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell