Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please, no more articles by David Schmidt in Zymurgy  (Read 1713 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Please, no more articles by David Schmidt in Zymurgy
« on: July 14, 2022, 02:57:32 pm »
Please, no more articles by David Schmidt. Why? IMO, these articles are sorely lacking of homebrewing or brewing in general. Are they rambling articles simply with brief mentions of brewing so as to qualify for the magazine? Reminds me of any online forum where someone write off topic, but, in passing mentions the subject, just to claim “I’m on topic”.

Enough.

Both "My Grandfather's Crock" and "Brewing in the Aloha Spirit" were not worthy of being published in Zymurgy.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Please, no more articles by David Schmidt in Zymurgy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 08:29:20 am »
You made me go get my copy of Zymurgy and review it.  While I agree that the article may be a bit off-topic with respect to brewing, but its articles like this that expand minds and perspectives and get creative people to come up with new and interesting things. 

Who knows, maybe there is an aspect of the Kava subject or ethos that might inspire someone.  At a minimum, it brought a new subject to readers.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 05:42:34 am »
I found his article about Kava in the July/August issue quite interesting.  I never really knew what kava was before this article.  Not beer, but still a similar scene and camaraderie. 
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 07:40:34 am »
So I guess the question is this:

Should Zymurgy focus solely on homebrewing beer, or homebrewing in general?

I say they should take whatever path generates the most interest, though I find it interesting that most advertisements are beer-centric.  (Obviously some products can apply to all types of brewing, not just beer).

And it's up to the reader to decide if they are getting enough out of the magazine to help justify a membership.  Yes, there are other benefits to a membership, I know.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 08:33:22 am »

I say they should take whatever path generates the most interest, though I find it interesting that most advertisements are beer-centric.  (Obviously some products can apply to all types of brewing, not just beer).

And it's up to the reader to decide if they are getting enough out of the magazine to help justify a membership.  Yes, there are other benefits to a membership, I know.

This so a question that's been raised for 25 years every time Zymurgy publishes an article on something other than beer. The consensus is that most people don't mine the divergence and many actually appreciate it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 09:04:36 am »

This so a question that's been raised for 25 years every time Zymurgy publishes an article on something other than beer. The consensus is that most people don't mine the divergence and many actually appreciate it.

I've seen the topic brought up before, for sure.  However, I have never seen a poll taken on what the members would prefer.  That would be interesting.

For the record, I enjoy Zymurgy.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 10:46:47 am »
For the record --- in case any of Zymurgy's editors read this --- I like the "stretch" articles. 

Obviously, some editorial discretion is required.  There are a lot of adjacent fields that seem to be of overlapping interest to homebrewers --- culinary arts, history, horticulture, &c. --- but an article on, say, automotive maintenance or offensive strategy in football might be over-stretching it.

It would be interesting to see some polling data on what other hobbies homebrewers have.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 05:33:13 pm »
Absolutely the focus should be on homebrewing beer with an inclusive attitude toward other fermentation pursuits and the occasional interest piece. Fwiw I too found the kava piece interesting.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 01:42:26 pm »
OK, I drink my homebrew while watching sports. When will Zymurgy contact me about writing an article ;-)

Here's another article idea. We serve my homebrew when we have parties. Is that a knock at the door... is Zymurgy calling for an article ;-)

Another. I'll write about bicycling. Oh, and, um, I saw a craft beer truck while I was cycling ;-)

I don't mind the occasional diversion; however, it seems I've read too many Zymurgy articles bereft of actually brewing or mentioning brewing in passing. Maybe just my bad luck in "grabbing the magazine", getting too many issues to non-related brewing articles, to read on the train ride to/from work.

In other words, I'm an AHA member for homebrewing. I'm NOT an AHA member to read about hiking, sports, amateur radio etc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:54:24 pm by brewthru »

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 02:23:00 pm »
I'm not quite willing to "throw out the baby with the bath water" as I enjoy so much of Zymurgy that I'm willing to look at some articles and just pass on them.  I also look at Zymurgy as strictly a bonus to my AHA membership.  I easily get my money back for my AHA discount at my LHBS.  I do agree though that the AHA and Zymurgy should stay close to the "mission."

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 04:08:26 pm »
I think that it is important to the membership to grow the community so as to ensure there is an AHA in the future.  If diversifying the types of articles that show up accomplishes this, then I am all for it.  I don't read everything in the mag and don't expect to.  I consider myself an advanced homebrewer so there is often things in there that don't fit my style, gear, or philosophy.  More photos of pets and brewing gear?  I don't need them, but what the hey- it's fine.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 05:54:35 pm »
I don't indulge too much in Zymurgy I see it as a bonus and I prefer my BYO subscription over it anyway.

I do enjoy the aha discounts at breweries though!