Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avoid eggs-like smell in a beer.  (Read 1268 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Avoid eggs-like smell in a beer.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 07:00:04 am »
6. All german lagers are fermented at low temperatures, except those under high pressure.

Not trying to start an argument, but I did some looking around and came to the conclusion that, evidently, there’s room for a warm ferment in Germany: Classic Warm Fermentation . Weizenberg (Nico) says, “Although cold Fermentation is deemed better for the quality of the beer, warm fermentation was often used in the production of dark lagers such as the infamous Bavarian Dunkel.”

In his ‘Low oxygen baseline recipes for German Lagers’  post on the German Brewing Forum, which includes Helles and Pils, TechBrau said, ”You can ferment any of these with the classic cold or the traditional warm ferment, but ultimately you need to find a fermentation schedule that works for you…”. I find the use of the term “traditional“ very interesting. http://forum.germanbrewing.net/viewtopic.php?p=2586

On his braukaiser website, Kia Troester found a presentation about beer production on the web server of the Technical University of Vienna [TU Vienna] that depicts warm, pressureless fermentation (I know Vienna is not German but it’s interesting none the less). https://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Fermenting_Lagers

I looked at your links... interestingly, the "warm fermentation" goes to a maximum of 11 C (52 F).

Most people would not consider that to be "warm".

Not looking for an argument, just pointing out facts.  I have no horse in this race.
Thanks.  My point exactly when I stated that all German lagers are fermented at low temperatures.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson