Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand  (Read 9111 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« on: September 12, 2022, 07:05:07 pm »
Apparently Lallemand is releasing yet another new strain of yeast.  According to the press release, bred, like Farmhouse, with non-GMO techniques.

https://www.brewersjournal.info/lallemand-brewing-launch-novalager/

Not in homebrew packets yet....

Edit: and Lallemand's webpage for it: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/asia/novalager-test/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:08:31 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 07:16:46 pm »
Nice. I like this: “…will not produce hydrogen sulfide (H2S)…”.  That’s my biggest turn off with lager yeast. I don’t like the hint of sulfur so many seem to appreciate from a lager. I often use a clean ale yeast to produce a pseudo lager-like beer because of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 07:20:27 pm »
Wow.... better life through selective breeding!  This is a brand new third line of pastorianus lager yeast, distinct from the previous two naturally occurring groups, namely Frohberg (all commercially available pastorianus strains) and Saaz (known to exist, but very rarely used and not for sale).  So they've actually bred a new strain that doesn't produce sulfur or diacetyl, very cool!  I'm sure most people will use it to make friggin "Cold IPA", but some will use it to make lagers, and THAT is what I think will be most interesting to see what kind of lagers it can make.  It does say it's a little fruity, so... hmm... a little skeptical.  I mean, if it's like S-23, some people will love it, and some will hate it, and the other 99% won't know or care about it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 07:24:54 pm »
Nice. I like this: “…will not produce hydrogen sulfide (H2S)…”.  That’s my biggest turn off with lager yeast.

Ditto. Puts me off even some of the widely respected classics.

But I've had such good success with good ole 34/70 at higher temps the big question for me is how this will compare.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 07:29:16 pm »
Nice. I like this: %u201C%u2026will not produce hydrogen sulfide (H2S)%u2026%u201D.  That%u2019s my biggest turn off with lager yeast.

Ditto. Puts me off even some of the widely respected classics.

But I've had such good success with good ole 34/70 at higher temps the big question for me is how this will compare.

I can tolerate a slight hint of sulfur, but it has to be way in the background and not a distraction.

I've had better success with Diamond and S-189 fermented warm than with W-34/70.  It will indeed be interesting to see what the Novalager can do in comparison.  My guess is.... apple esters when fermented warm, since Lallemand already says so.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 10:42:41 am »
Wow, this looks really interesting. Looks like Lallemand removed the Novalager links from their site (OP's link doesn't work anymore), but they've already got some recipes on PDF, including not just a friggin' Cold IPA, but a friggin' Hazy Cold IPA:

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-recipes-InternationalPaleLager-NovaLager-10HL-1.pdf
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-recipes-Baltic-Porter-NovaLager-10hl-1.pdf
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-recipes-HazyColdIPA-NovaLager-10HL-1.pdf
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:52:42 am by saaz amore »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 12:57:33 pm »
Wow, this looks really interesting. Looks like Lallemand removed the Novalager links from their site (OP's link doesn't work anymore), but they've already got some recipes on PDF, including not just a friggin' Cold IPA, but a friggin' Hazy Cold IPA:

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-recipes-InternationalPaleLager-NovaLager-10HL-1.pdf
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-recipes-Baltic-Porter-NovaLager-10hl-1.pdf
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-recipes-HazyColdIPA-NovaLager-10HL-1.pdf

That friggin Hazy Cold IPA recipe looks great.  Thanks for that link...can't wait to try this yeast.

narvin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 03:37:01 pm »
No sulfur is a no go for me.

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 08:15:19 pm »
No sulfur is a no go for me.

The press release says no hydrogen sulfide (H2S, rotten egg) is produced, but doesn't say anything about sulfur dioxide (SO2, burnt match).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:18:09 pm by saaz amore »

Fire Rooster

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:01:19 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 05:21:16 am »
Here is the coolest link of them all:

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-bestpractices-Lallemand_Lager_Strain_Selection-bifold-digital.pdf

EDIT: The more I learn about this yeast... the more I realize that this truly is just a Cold IPA delivery device.  It's 3/4 cerevisiae, 1/4 eubayanus, so it's just barely a "lager" strain IMO.  Based on the comparisons by Lallemand, I believe it will taste quite fruity, similar to Fermentis S-23.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:12:38 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 10:01:42 am »
Here is the coolest link of them all:

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/LAL-bestpractices-Lallemand_Lager_Strain_Selection-bifold-digital.pdf

Lots of interesting info about Diamond there, too.

I'll give it a shot, and I like the high attenuation and high flocculation, but I wonder what the "distinct flavor profile" really is. Looks more estery than Nottingham.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 06:04:17 am »
This is very exciting just as all new dry yeast strains are (to me, anyway) so I'll be interested to see what it's like.  The truth is that I need to know (if possible) how it compares to something else that's out there because I can't make a determination based on the description.  Maybe there is no comparison so I'll just have to try it when it's available.  It reminds me of this trip to my supplier where I asked her for 2124 but she stopped carrying Wyeast.  She gave me Omega German Lager #1 and said it's 2124 but it's not.  It's more like WLP830 German Lager (which many say *IS* 2124) but I don't think so and I've never thought so.  It's very nice but it's not 2124 so some context would be good for this dry strain but maybe there is no context.  I'd love to try the Baja from Cellar Science and also this Novalager but not until they're in smaller (11-12g) packs.  Also, rotten eggs are a no but I generally don't get rotten eggs.  I will get some slight sulfur/matchstick at the end of fermentation but what is left in the glass of beer is way, way in the background and it's what tells me that the beer was brewed with lager yeast. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 11:21:22 am »
I just emailed them to see if they have info on pressurized fermentations. The distinct flavor, enhanced above 20C, makes me think I'll stick with other strains unless it cleans up under pressure with room temp fermentation.

Also, the red apple flavor has me wondering if this is related to 2007, which is very forgiving of warm temperatures, but had the dreaded (to me at least) Budweiser flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 12:49:40 pm »
I just emailed them to see if they have info on pressurized fermentations. The distinct flavor, enhanced above 20C, makes me think I'll stick with other strains unless it cleans up under pressure with room temp fermentation.

Also, the red apple flavor has me wondering if this is related to 2007, which is very forgiving of warm temperatures, but had the dreaded (to me at least) Budweiser flavor.

FYI, I got a quick response from Lallemand - no data of pressurized ferments as of yet, and 11g sachets are expected out in November.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer