Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand  (Read 9249 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 12:57:20 pm »
I just emailed them to see if they have info on pressurized fermentations. The distinct flavor, enhanced above 20C, makes me think I'll stick with other strains unless it cleans up under pressure with room temp fermentation.

Also, the red apple flavor has me wondering if this is related to 2007, which is very forgiving of warm temperatures, but had the dreaded (to me at least) Budweiser flavor.

FYI, I got a quick response from Lallemand - no data of pressurized ferments as of yet, and 11g sachets are expected out in November.

Great team work.

Offline Mervin720

• 1st Kit
  • Brew hunter who loves to enjoy a variety of taste
    • Micet Group
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 11:56:24 am »
Oh, That's really interesting. Just feel interest to have it ASAP. Thanks for the exploring the new brand before us. Hope the taste will really be different.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 05:01:28 pm »
open to it, but i actually love that perfect tiny whiff of matchstick in a lager.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 09:00:53 pm »
open to it, but i actually love that perfect tiny whiff of matchstick in a lager.
Interesting how we’re all different. It repulses me.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 05:45:41 am »
Nice. I like this: “…will not produce hydrogen sulfide (H2S)…”.  That’s my biggest turn off with lager yeast. I don’t like the hint of sulfur so many seem to appreciate from a lager. I often use a clean ale yeast to produce a pseudo lager-like beer because of it.
Werner Back's book has a great discussion on sulfur (dioxide).
Hydrogen sulfide is always a defect, mostly related to yeast health.
After years of brewing, I come to realize that for beginners, it's better to brew lagers at high temperatures.
It gets you 70% of the way 100% of the time.
To get 100% of the way, you need to do a lot of things right, and it's not easy.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 08:26:34 pm »
not sure if anyone mentioned, but apparently their suggested pitching rate for novalager is MUCH lower than diamond. looking at just slightly over one packet recommended by them vs. more than 2 for diamond (18 gal, 1.050, ~12C)

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 06:38:13 am »
One way to get around pitching more than one packet is to make a smaller beer - either volume wise or ABV-wise.  I often make a smaller ABV beer (Lichtbier, e.g.), then re-pitch the yeast right after collection from the racked batch, taking it out a few generations, before starting over.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 03:49:39 pm »
One way to get around pitching more than one packet is to make a smaller beer - either volume wise or ABV-wise.  I often make a smaller ABV beer (Lichtbier, e.g.), then re-pitch the yeast right after collection from the racked batch, taking it out a few generations, before starting over.

that is definitely true, and people were saying especially so for the lallemand koln and new england yeasts which recommend 2 or 3 packets (ale yeast!) for a standard wort/size. its not confusion, in their thread a lallemand person clarified it explicitly stating they are fragile strains or something.

i am into dry yeast lately however because i can use 2 packets in a high gravity beer and not worry about oxygenation that may/would be required for a liquid yeast or repitch (potentially).

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2022, 05:06:26 am »
Just came across the webinar video. Haven't watched it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_Khp9rvih-4
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 05:08:04 am by saaz amore »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 03:12:33 pm »
so yeah as someone said, they are quick to identify "red apple" as a major ester. overall it sounds like a good addition.

listened to the webiner, my takeaway is that it will ferment in a slightly warmer range than say 34/70 (what they identify as the baseline lab lager strain). they stress almost zero SO2 or diacetyl and reduced acetaldehyde, while still being neutral and crisp (lagerlike) and making slightly more esters than 34/70.

they said the attenuation ranges from 74 to 84%.

i can imagine these tastes, but would have to experience it in reality to really mentally label this taste profile. sounds good

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 04:38:57 am »
At about 42:00, the speaker mentions undetectable levels of H2S and low levels of SO2, diacetyl, and acetaldehyde.

They also claim "fast fermentation that can be completed in 6 days". Seems like I've seen this before... ah, here it is:

"LalBrew Munich Classic™ yeast exhibits vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 4 days." But when I use it, it takes considerably longer than that for the beer to be finished. I'm gonna take that "six days for Novalager" with a grain of salt.

The speaker also specifically recommended Novalager for IPL and Cold IPA.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 04:55:40 am by saaz amore »

Offline BrewBama

Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2022, 05:32:43 am »
Their claim is based on a pitch rate taking into consideration fermentation temp, gravity, and volume. I’m sure wort composition is a factor as well.

Years ago I’d get slow starts, sluggish fermentations, and incomplete attenuation. But since I began closely following their pitch rate calculator based on their criteria, I rarely have a beer finish in more than six days. It’s usually four or five.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 07:22:43 am by BrewBama »

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2022, 11:42:46 am »
Their claim is based on a pitch rate taking into consideration fermentation temp, gravity, and volume. I’m sure wort composition is a factor as well.

Years ago I’d get slow starts, sluggish fermentations, and incomplete attenuation. But since I began closely following their pitch rate calculator based on their criteria, I rarely have a beer finish in more than six days. It’s usually four or five.

Same here. I follow the pitch rate calc for Ales but do pitch slightly more than they recommend with Diamond. I found that I get a bit less sulfur with the higher lager pitch rate but I am also dry pitching into the FV and fermenting it at 50F.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2022, 02:03:06 pm »
I look forward to the reports on performance of this new yeast.  I have been pressure fermenting most beer lately and for lagers, I pitch 3 packets (Diamond or 34/70, typically) in a 10 gallon batch to ferment at 50-54F, which usually completes in 5 days on my 1.040 - 1.048 ish lagers.  Having a Tilt really helps with the final determination of completion of a batch's fermentation.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2022, 07:49:26 pm »

yeah, i followed their guidelines for the last two brews i did (bry97x2 for 1.087 OG beer) and abbaye, and its clear all their different yeasts have very different dosing rates. that "one packet for 5 gallons" rule is definitely no longer some advice to give out for every yeast