Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand  (Read 9305 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2022, 02:40:04 pm »
I just emailed them to see if they have info on pressurized fermentations. The distinct flavor, enhanced above 20C, makes me think I'll stick with other strains unless it cleans up under pressure with room temp fermentation.

Also, the red apple flavor has me wondering if this is related to 2007, which is very forgiving of warm temperatures, but had the dreaded (to me at least) Budweiser flavor.

FYI, I got a quick response from Lallemand - no data of pressurized ferments as of yet, and 11g sachets are expected out in November.

Or December, or January, or February or ......

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 03:47:16 pm »
I just ordered two 11g packets of Novalager from Morebeer.  Has anyone brewed with this yeast yet?  I'm curious about it's character/profile and also curious about esters/fruitiness.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2023, 07:36:03 am »
Guys:  I will be using Novalager next and I have a couple questions for those who have used it.  First, can anyone think of a good style to make with it first to create a good foundation for the yeast?  I'm thinking helles or other mellow lager to make it easier to form an opinion on the yeast.  Also, any other tips in terms of recipe formation?  Does it produce "malty beers" so I should be careful with my bittering addition and make sure it's robust enough?  Did I read that it can be estery so I should keep the fermentation environment cooler?  Has anyone concluded that Novalager is the dry equivalent of something else?  Finally... should I use both of my 11g packs of this yeast if I just make a 1.050 wort?  Cheers and thanks. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2023, 07:51:26 am »
Guys:  I will be using Novalager next and I have a couple questions for those who have used it.  First, can anyone think of a good style to make with it first to create a good foundation for the yeast?  I'm thinking helles or other mellow lager to make it easier to form an opinion on the yeast.  Also, any other tips in terms of recipe formation?  Does it produce "malty beers" so I should be careful with my bittering addition and make sure it's robust enough?  Did I read that it can be estery so I should keep the fermentation environment cooler?  Has anyone concluded that Novalager is the dry equivalent of something else?  Finally... should I use both of my 11g packs of this yeast if I just make a 1.050 wort?  Cheers and thanks.
I have made 3 beers with it; Czech Pils, Dortmunder, and an amber lager.   All three are tasty beers. I think it accentuates malt a bit so would do well in a Helles.

I fermented at 55-57F. I don’t taste and esters. 

PS. I also used the slurry in an apple cider. I didn’t measure gravity so I don’t know the finish gravity. My recipe is ferment 116 oz Mott’s, pasteurize, then back sweeten with 12 oz. held back from the original gallon. It tasted pretty dry and clean compared to other yeasts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 08:50:06 am by tommymorris »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2023, 08:20:58 am »

I fermented a 1.050ish German pils at 53 with it. 2 packs. Nothing but Crisp Hana pils malt, Hall Mitt, and Saaz. Got a low red apple character. Compared to Diamond, seemed to leave a rounder mouthfeel with emphasis toward malt.

Given that it's a blend of ale and lager yeasts, I don't see it as an equivalent of anything.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 08:22:31 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2023, 08:59:51 am »
Thanks guys.  Denny, I don't like the sound of that red apple gig and I hope I don't encounter it.  I made a very straightforward lager a couple weeks ago that was 70/30 Briess Pils and Best Malz Vienna and then 25 IBUs of Sterling from the start of the boil.  It's cold and kegged now and it was fermented with 2124... I might make something similar for this first run of Novalager.  Maybe the same grist and then I have some very nice Perle that I got from YVH.  I will report back.  Thanks again.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2023, 09:07:22 am »
Thanks guys.  Denny, I don't like the sound of that red apple gig and I hope I don't encounter it.  I made a very straightforward lager a couple weeks ago that was 70/30 Briess Pils and Best Malz Vienna and then 25 IBUs of Sterling from the start of the boil.  It's cold and kegged now and it was fermented with 2124... I might make something similar for this first run of Novalager.  Maybe the same grist and then I have some very nice Perle that I got from YVH.  I will report back.  Thanks again.

It's really low level. I don't notice it at all until the beer warms up. I intend to split a batch between Nova and Diamond for comparison

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2023, 09:48:32 am »

It's really low level. I don't notice it at all until the beer warms up. I intend to split a batch between Nova and Diamond for comparison
Is an apple character something that would age out?  I really can't think of any lager yeast strain that created a red apple character.  I have made lagers that had acetaldehyde (green apple) which was clearly a flaw OF MINE, not the yeast... I assume.  I was never a Budweiser drinker.  I have had a few in my life but it was pretty much before I understood beer.  At some point in my 30s or 40s, I decided to try one.  Holy green apple.  I don't know what I was thinking.  :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 09:50:19 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2023, 11:29:29 am »

Is an apple character something that would age out?  I really can't think of any lager yeast strain that created a red apple character.  I have made lagers that had acetaldehyde (green apple) which was clearly a flaw OF MINE, not the yeast... I assume.  I was never a Budweiser drinker.  I have had a few in my life but it was pretty much before I understood beer.  At some point in my 30s or 40s, I decided to try one.  Holy green apple.  I don't know what I was thinking.  :D

No idea about aging out.  You might not even notice it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2023, 01:53:36 pm »
These beers I made with Novalager loosely remind me of lagers made with a clean ale yeast. I can’t decide why exactly. It could be in my head because I know Novalager is a hybrid.

That said, I am really enjoying all 3 beers I have made with Novalager. But, I think they are distinctly different than 34/70 and Diamond beers. I will use Novalager again, but I will keep using 34/70 and Diamond also.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2023, 01:57:22 pm »
These beers I made with Novalager loosely remind me of lagers made with a clean ale yeast. I can’t decide why exactly. It could be in my head because I know Novalager is a hybrid.

That said, I am really enjoying all 3 beers I have made with Novalager. But, I think they are distinctly different than 34/70 and Diamond beers. I will use Novalager again, but I will keep using 34/70 and Diamond also.

That's the way I see it, too.  I'll keep using both Nova and Diamond, but probably for different things.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2023, 04:11:01 am »
Agreed on the use of older lager strains, as well as Novalager.  All have their place. I have around 5 beers in the pipeline using Novalager.  As to the red apple - if I had not viewed the sensory profile wheel from Lallemand, I might not have known it was expressing that as part of the profile.  Once put in my head, I found it, though slight and not off-putting at all.  But I don’t mind an occasional Budweiser- others raise the apple issue as their objection to it….ymmv.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2023, 08:17:22 am »
I'm always willing to try new strains and see how the beer comes out.  This is how you collect "favorites".  The part where the yeast is half lager, half ale is mildly concerning but I'm not going to worry about that.  The apple thing I'm keeping in my back pocket... if I make a beer and I pick up a strong apple character that will be a problem for me.  If I don't detect it, great.  If I like the yeast then it goes in the YES pile.  Otherwise, no. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2023, 07:56:09 pm »
Guys, I know that I'm very late on this but who thinks that Novalager would work in a Festbier/Oktoberfest Lager?  I have the chance to brew on Sunday and I'm considering this.  I would typically use Omega Bayern, 2124 or 838/2308 for this to give it some German character.  Would Novalager impart any German character?  If not, I might just not make a Festbier this year.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago.