Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewdog: the decline?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline DaphiL

• 1st Kit
  • French beer lover
    • Beer personal website
Brewdog: the decline?
« on: September 13, 2022, 03:12:50 am »
Hello !  :D

Personally, I've always loved the beers from Brewdog: Dead Pony, Hazy Jane, Punk IPA... I think it was these beers that made me want to brew on my own.

However, the last time I went to a beer shop, the manager (angrily) told me that they didn't sell Brewdog anymore, and that if I wanted it, I should go to any food shop.

When did this brewery fall into such disrepair that it was lumped in with all the other industrial beers? Did becoming popular take away its quality?
I am a french lover of craft beers, beer boxes and I love brewing my own beer. I'm here to chat and share with other beer lovers. I also write on a beer website (french) where I talk about beer.
Don't hesitate to come and debate with me if you want to share our common passion!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Brewdog: the decline?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 12:23:46 pm »
I was never much of a fan myself, but they've always had an aggressive growth strategy. Their marketing identity of being this funky, independent brand wore thin as they kept growing. (A lot like Stone in the US.) I suspect these days they sell more to larger accounts like grocery chains where they can move volume without paying for a fleet of salespeople to push them into smaller bottle shops.

I read last night Brewdog is opening a one of their bars here in Denver. I suspect more people will be like "who?" than excited.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

Brewdog: the decline?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 06:39:48 am »
The thing I liked best about BrewDog is they published their recipes

https://brewdogrecipes.com/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:44:13 am by BrewBama »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 08:26:15 am »
When they were new, they came to one of our homebrew club meetings and passed out samples of Tactical Nuclear Penguin.  Hearing that name in a Scots accent was fun.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 10:57:58 am »
As far as I know, I've never lived in their distribution footprint. I really only know then from the scandal.

(Their published recipes are cool, but they're for beers I've never tasted.  ::)
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 08:28:21 pm »
The thing I liked best about BrewDog is they published their recipes

https://brewdogrecipes.com/

that is super awesome. im doing a whole bunch of recipe formulation now that its fall/winter. do you know of any other page like this for fairly official commercial brewery recipes? i find clone recipes from random online homebrewers can range from absurd to maybe somewhat accurate.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 09:24:10 am »
Not a website but the book Session Beers has a lot of seemingly official recipes for a lot of commercial beers. The rest of the book isn't a valuable read IMO but it's a good resource for recipes on a lot of well known beers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 03:02:39 pm »

Not a website but the book Session Beers has a lot of seemingly official recipes for a lot of commercial beers. The rest of the book isn't a valuable read IMO but it's a good resource for recipes on a lot of well known beers.

thank you guys.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 07:26:26 pm »
This, at least to me, is a surprise. We discovered Brewdog in Florence, Italy when we visited. What a nice find!

Noobs that we were we didn't know/realize it's a custom at pubs to put out a nice spread of food at certain hours. Food is free with beer purchase. Of course, we'd just finished eating the paid for food we ordered.

Thought the Brewdog brews on tap were very, very good.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 07:57:07 am by brewthru »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 01:45:08 pm »
I've never heard of BrewDog until this thread, and after looking them up.....ick. Last thing I want to do if I'm going to Europe is drink American-style ale.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 03:39:01 pm »
I've never heard of BrewDog until this thread, and after looking them up.....ick. Last thing I want to do if I'm going to Europe is drink American-style ale.

To me, most of their beers seem like gimmicks. Not to mention the issues the CEO has had.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 01:50:44 pm »

In Florence, Italy I was ecstatic to simply find beer/brewpub!

Also, Brewdog originated in Scotland.