Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what do you do with all that grain?  (Read 10478 times)

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
Re: what do you do with all that grain?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:47 am »
If you live in the warmer parts of America during the summer your compost pile might be visited by Black Soldier flies (not houseflies) and their larva can make quick work of spent grain.  When they're really active I've seen them eat 10lbs of spent grain in less than a week.  But now in the fall they aren't very active.

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45:16 am »
Dry it and put it in home made soap as an exfoliant.   
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:10 am »
If you live in the warmer parts of America during the summer your compost pile might be visited by Black Soldier flies (not houseflies) and their larva can make quick work of spent grain.  When they're really active I've seen them eat 10lbs of spent grain in less than a week.  But now in the fall they aren't very active.

Aren't those the ones that produce larva that look like huge maggots? If so, I have a gazillion of them.

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:30 am »
Aren't those the ones that produce larva that look like huge maggots? If so, I have a gazillion of them.

Those are the ones-  The adult black soldier fly looks like a cross between a fly and a wasp (no stinger).  And apparently since the adult doesn't eat anything it won't spread pathogens like a housefly might.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »
Wow...That's pretty cool...
http://www.eawag.ch/organisation/abteilungen/sandec/schwerpunkte/swm/projects/5000larvae/index_EN

That's amazing. And disgusting. Looks like they'll make short work of anything they go after.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »
They certainly don't seem to hurt my compost.

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »
I dump mine in the woods and the deer and turkeys clean it up real fast.  Probably keeps them pretty regular too.   8)

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 06:22:03 am »
I compost in a barrel composter.  It helps make short work of the other crap I put in there.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 07:07:02 am »
Wow...That's pretty cool...
http://www.eawag.ch/organisation/abteilungen/sandec/schwerpunkte/swm/projects/5000larvae/index_EN

That's amazing. And disgusting. Looks like they'll make short work of anything they go after.
I bet the aroma was interesting....
and in the middle of the crawler across the top of the video was the reference to
LOW to MIDDLE income countries....I personally think that the RICH countries should have
to use this as well...so that they can enjoy the aroma right along with the crumudgeons.... ;)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.