Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanilla in an Imperial Porter: Beans vs. Powder vs. None  (Read 783 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Vanilla in an Imperial Porter: Beans vs. Powder vs. None
« on: August 28, 2022, 11:41:05 am »
Brewing an Imperial Porter as I type, and the recipe called for vanilla beans soaked in Vodka, but my home brew store didn’t have any beans in stock.  The employee there suggested to use the Vanilla powder they had in stock.  I’m making 10 gallons so I thought one keg with vanilla and one without maybe?  Then I started thinking whether I should use powder at all or go buy some vanilla beans to soak in Vodka.  Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vanilla in an Imperial Porter: Beans vs. Powder vs. None
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 12:02:37 pm »
I have used beans for many years and never soaked them in vodka. Powder might be OK, as would a quality vanilla extract.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 01:25:47 pm »
Do you just add the beans to the fermenter or to the keg?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 01:52:57 pm »
I second the use of a good vanilla extract.  Very easy to use and to control.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 09:10:10 am »
Do you just add the beans to the fermenter or to the keg?

The fermenter. I start tasting after about 3 days. I let it get a little stronger than I want it since it fades.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 01:18:45 pm »
So I am about to keg this beer, and I'm planning on adding powdered vanilla to one of the two kegs.  The original recipe calls for 15g of vanilla extract for 5 gallons.  Anyone have experience as to whether this will be too much or too little?  I know that I could start with half, taste, and see if I need to add more (which I'll probably do), but I thought I would see if anyone has any advice.