Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you stack full glass Carboys?  (Read 969 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Do you stack full glass Carboys?
« on: September 15, 2022, 01:34:16 am »
I'm starting to amass quite a collection of full carboys and I'm running out of space. Thinking of building some sort of wooden shelving system and worries about it collapsing under the weight. Has anyone got some tips or pics of systems they've seen?
Thanks

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Do you stack full glass Carboys?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 05:50:12 am »
I recommend metal. They hold 200 lb per shelf and are under $50 at Lowes for something like this:

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 07:41:47 am »
You can likely buy metal for less than you can build with wood right now.  with the cost of plywood right ow you can spend a lot of cash for no so much wood.  The shelf suggested above would work great.  You can also get very heavy duty shelves that hold 400lbs/shelf at Sam's Club (used to be called Gorilla Shelves when we bought them) or Big Box Stores for $150 or less.

If you go with wood, I'd use 2x4 common pine bolted together at each junction.  Shelves would likely need to be 3/4" plywood (strand board is fine but add supports in longer sections to prevent sagging).  Depending on shelf length you're really only looking at 50lbs or so per carboy.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 10:53:29 am »
Thank you everyone for the feedback, I had planned on using a massive pallet I broke down for free. It's built out of 4x4s. It has 6ft runs with 3 of them nailed side by side with large nails then using the other 4x4s for 2legs on each end with supports in the middle and nailing metal strapping so it didn't fold under the weight but am unsure of the best method to affix the legs.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 01:17:40 pm »
Thank you everyone for the feedback, I had planned on using a massive pallet I broke down for free. It's built out of 4x4s. It has 6ft runs with 3 of them nailed side by side with large nails then using the other 4x4s for 2legs on each end with supports in the middle and nailing metal strapping so it didn't fold under the weight but am unsure of the best method to affix the legs.

If I'm visualizing this correctly...  Use 4in. screws to attach the top on the top of the legs and add 45deg braces at the top of the legs and attached to the top.  Or a board attached between each set of 2 legs (total 4) to add stability. 

I may not be seeing it in my mind correctly.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?