Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Food grade oxygen absorbers  (Read 769 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Food grade oxygen absorbers
« on: September 16, 2022, 01:46:52 pm »
Does anyone use food grade oxygen absorbers for malt storage?

I store my malt in 5-gallon food grade buckets. Haven't noticed any degradation or problems with the stored malt. However, was thinking maybe I should also be using food grade oxygen absorbers.

Thoughts?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Food grade oxygen absorbers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 06:39:21 pm »
I think barley prior to and after malting is stored in huge silos before it’s packaged for sale. Retailers further package into smaller qty and stock it on shelves. We are probably brewing with at least two + yr old harvest. I don’t think a cpl more months is gonna matter much.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 10:40:27 pm »

I store my malt in 5-gallon food grade buckets. Haven't noticed any degradation or problems with the stored malt. However, was thinking maybe I should also be using food grade oxygen absorbers.

Thoughts?

You say you haven’t noticed a difference, so would anyone’s answer matter? Trust your own personal experience. The expertise on this forum is all well and good, but it’s no substitute for your own empirical observations.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 08:38:11 am »

Thoughts?

You say you haven’t noticed a difference, so would anyone’s answer matter? Trust your own personal experience. The expertise on this forum is all well and good, but it’s no substitute for your own empirical observations.

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 08:38:42 am »

Thoughts?

If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 08:57:04 am »

Thoughts?

I have to disagree. Tasting different batches at different times (or different age), you may not notice a difference, where side-by-side, you might notice it. I think this only means there isn't a big difference. But making multiple small improvements can end up making a noticeable difference in your beer.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 09:52:27 am »

Thoughts?

I have to disagree. Tasting different batches at different times (or different age), you may not notice a difference, where side-by-side, you might notice it. I think this only means there isn't a big difference. But making multiple small improvements can end up making a noticeable difference in your beer.
Call it no practical difference then if you'd like.  Or, if you care to, investigate and do the test & share your impressions.  Either way works.