Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single fermentation or double  (Read 907 times)

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
Single fermentation or double
« on: September 12, 2022, 04:45:22 pm »
I'm sure Im going to get both answers to this but with what Im seeing and hearing, with todays "quality" yeasts there is no need for a secondary fermenter unless Im adding some thing to the beer,...ie hops, fruit, oak. What does the majority have to say about this

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Single fermentation or double
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 05:34:10 pm »
Absolutely! All you'd be doing is unnecessarily exposing your beer to oxygen and the possibility of contamination.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Single fermentation or double
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 06:32:01 pm »
One fermenter is all you need. I have not used a secondary in 10+ years.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 01:25:32 pm by tommymorris »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 07:10:21 pm »
I transfer to a keg directly from the primary fermenter, cold crash it under CO2 pressure, and allow it to condition/lager/carbonate/mature/whatever until I need it. If I want to add dry hops I do it in the primary fermenter during active fermentation so the yeast will consume any O2 I inadvertently add when I open the lid.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 08:31:01 am »
I'm sure Im going to get both answers to this but with what Im seeing and hearing, with todays "quality" yeasts there is no need for a secondary fermenter unless Im adding some thing to the beer,...ie hops, fruit, oak. What does the majority have to say about this

I agree with that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 02:24:22 pm »
Thanks for the replies and will be using one fermenter for sure. My question now is how many of you brewers dry hop during "active" fermentation suggest by Brewbama. Most of the recipes I have been using say to dry hop closer to the end of fermentation. What are your thoughts on that?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 04:02:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies and will be using one fermenter for sure. My question now is how many of you brewers dry hop during "active" fermentation suggest by Brewbama. Most of the recipes I have been using say to dry hop closer to the end of fermentation. What are your thoughts on that?

I do not.  I dry hop post fermentation. While dry hopping during fermentation _may_ help with O2 exposure, I don't care for the flavor effects I get from doing it that way.  I cold crash to 35F for a few days, then dry hop for 48 hours at 35F. I have dry hopped hundreds of batches and I prefer the results doing it that way to anything else I've tried.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 07:46:58 am »
I DH just after high krausen. In my attempt to brew the perfect hazy IPA, my first several batches were dry hopped very late, close to bottling. I experienced oxidation issues on more than half. After several more batches I’ve perfected (for my process) a hop schedule of 5 minutes, hop stand and DH after high krausen, which seemed to have remedied the oxidation issue and has also perfected the bitterness/hoppiness balance for my taste.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 04:28:30 pm »

I do not.  I dry hop post fermentation. While dry hopping during fermentation _may_ help with O2 exposure, I don't care for the flavor effects I get from doing it that way.  I cold crash to 35F for a few days, then dry hop for 48 hours at 35F. I have dry hopped hundreds of batches and I prefer the results doing it that way to anything else I've tried.
That’s what I do I like the cold dry hop. I cold crash and add the hops to the fermenter for 2-3 days and the flavor is better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 10:59:41 am by purduekenn »