Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer before Liquor...  (Read 4815 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Beer before Liquor...
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:57:54 am »
Beer before liquor- never sicker
Liquor before beer- you're in the clear

True? I've had bad experiences but as a general rule of thumb? Not sure. How about you guys?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Beer before Liquor...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:40:33 am »
The general rule of thumb is to quit drinking when you are sloshed.  Doesn't matter what I drink, if it's shots or wine or beer.  At the hour I find myself drunk off my ass, if I stop drinking immediately, I'm "in the clear".
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:46:40 am »
Beer before liquor- never sicker
Liquor before beer- you're in the clear

True? I've had bad experiences but as a general rule of thumb? Not sure. How about you guys?

So, the general wisdom of that is, so long as you finish off your night with beer everything is going to be alright. To a point I'll agree - homebrew seems to help avert hangovers so I'll have one when I get home after a party. Only problem is you can substitute anything for liquor - and you're in the clear?  
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:51:59 am »
Beer or liquor, pick one never mix the two. Drink lots of water. If you wish to drink liquor to the point of intoxication drink something clear. Ten you may be in the clear.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:45 am »
There's no truth to it, at least not for me. I like to drink bourbon but I almost always "prime the pump", as it were, with a few beers first. I think the best rule is to drink plenty of water and don't drink to excess. I'll admit that I often neglect that advice, however. ::)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:08:02 am »
The Mythbusters did some expirements to try and prove/disprove this.  They busted it --> the subjects were more hungover when they just drank beer and less hungover when they mixed.  They rated their dehydration, headache, sensitivity to light, sensitvity to loud noise and dizzyness (spun them around in a chair until they asked for mercy of puked) and made them memorize a bunch of stuff.

The little rhyme they test was different though:
Stick to beer, you're in the clear
Beer then liquor, never sicker
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:10:10 am by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 06:19:21 am »
hey, it's all alcohol. drink enough & it'll sneak up on you. the best thing is to know your own limits & respect them. though I certainly test/push those limits from time to time.

ditto on the water. the more alcohol you drink, the more important it is to hydrate. someone once told me that if you're doing heavy drinking, to try to alternate a glass of water between each drink. I never manage (or want) to do that, but I always try to drink water throughout the evening. it definitely helps.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:40:08 am »
Beer or liquor, pick one never mix the two. Drink lots of water. If you wish to drink liquor to the point of intoxication drink something clear. Ten you may be in the clear.

+1
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:19:55 am »
I generally will have a few pints and sometimes a shot or two to follow but never more than that or else...a hangover to follow the next day.

I like to sip on some good bourbon now and then...Bookers or Knob Creek  ;)
Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:12 am »
My rule of thumb is that if I'm switching either way I'll be hurting the next day.

If I'm switching from beer to liquor, it means I'm looking to get drunk and that ain't easy to do on beer.
If I'm switching from liquor to beer, it means I'm already drunk.

Hangover Rules:

- At least 2 pints of water before bed, orange gatorade and motrin in the morning.

- Medical "Professionals" (and by that I mean the professional drinkers who happened to be nurses or corpsmen I've known over the years) swear by draining a bag of saline in the morning.

- I swear the Romans had vomitoriums because they drank red wine.

- Remember that for every year you feel younger tonight, you'll feel two years older in the morning. Never get so drunk that you crap your pants. You'll probably wake up dead.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:40:16 am »
Never get so drunk that you crap your pants.

Normally I don't follow "rules" but this is a good one.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 07:51:06 am »
Never get so drunk that you crap your pants.

Normally I don't follow "rules" but this is a good one.

Seek professional help when this condition is present.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:39:30 am »
My rule of thumb is that if I'm switching either way I'll be hurting the next day.

If I'm switching from beer to liquor, it means I'm looking to get drunk and that ain't easy to do on beer.
If I'm switching from liquor to beer, it means I'm already drunk.

Hangover Rules:

- At least 2 pints of water before bed, orange gatorade and motrin in the morning.

- Medical "Professionals" (and by that I mean the professional drinkers who happened to be nurses or corpsmen I've known over the years) swear by draining a bag of saline in the morning.

- I swear the Romans had vomitoriums because they drank red wine.

- Remember that for every year you feel younger tonight, you'll feel two years older in the morning. Never get so drunk that you crap your pants. You'll probably wake up dead.

You can get so drunk  that you crap your pants and survive though. At least when you are 13 and you have raided your parents liquor for the first time you can.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:44:25 am »
The only other rule I try and follow is "beer before breakfast .... as often as possible..."

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:49:50 am »
The only other rule I try and follow is "beer before breakfast .... as often as possible..."

And the corrolary... "avoid hangovers, never sober up"
Joe