Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Early would You Start Drinking on a Friday Afternoon?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
Re: How Early would You Start Drinking on a Friday Afternoon?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 09:01:20 pm »
Well, back to original topic. IMO cigars go better with bourbon than beer and 5AM is too early to start drinking - unless you never stopped.

Gotta agree here. Tried a cigar with my \stout after listening to the Cigar and Beer Sunday Session and just wasn't feeling it.

Now, on the back nine, a cigar goes with just about anything. Heck, even on the front nine with a cold Miller Lite at 7:30 am on a hot August day....
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 09:11:50 pm »
Sorry if I steered this thing off topic. LMAO. :)

Ryan - as always we are better off to have you here whatever way you are steering  :D

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »

Ryan - as always we are better off to have you here whatever way you are steering  :D

;D I've been trying to get here more often. Darn family gets in the way. Plus there's the commute. LOL!

One thing I'll say about drinking early is that my palate is super fresh! That makes it almost average. :)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 10:39:02 pm »
I think we all know how I'd answer this question.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 06:06:26 am »
good point about the palate being fresh in the morning. many commercial breweries run their QC tasting panels in the morning for that reason. now, they're working... but then you were tasting as well so no fault there.

there are so many points we could throw in to justify an early start......
Beer ..... it's not just for breakfast.
that great fiddle tune.... Whiskey Before Breakfast   
hell, haven't you ever started judging at a competition with a round of barleywines or imperial stouts?

bottom line, anything worth doing well is worth doing to excess. it's never too early.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 06:18:43 am »
Phew . . glad to know I'm not on an island when it comes to clock watching and drinking. May even start subbing a glass of breakfast stout for the prune juice!  :o

As far as stogies . . . I don't smoke 'em. Don't smoke at all, never will. The palate of cigars, however, seems to be as vast as that of beer. And while I would think a stronger liquor would be required to cut through the cigar's flavor, I can see some strong ales serving the purpose . .especially if you are smoking a rather mild cigar and not a robusto or similar.Like a lot of things, you have to pair them correctly. At least that's my best guess!  ;)  
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 09:38:01 am »
You can't drink all day of you don't start in the morning!

I am aware of one of Denny's unofficial home club rules where one must have a drink before 10AM during club outings.  Am I right?

Yeah, I think that's the theory a lot of them operate on.  Me, I'm getting too old for that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 09:43:39 am »

Ryan - as always we are better off to have you here whatever way you are steering  :D

Yea Ryan...stop in more often when you can...your experience is very much valued.

Speaking of starting early.  I will be  judging the 2010 Turkey Shoot competition at The Loose Cannon on 11/20. Judging starts at 9am.  :o...on a Sunday.

I'll be primed for lunch.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 10:05:38 am »

I am aware of one of Denny's unofficial home club rules where one must have a drink before 10AM during club outings.  Am I right?

Yeah, I think that's the theory a lot of them operate on.  Me, I'm getting too old for that!

That's why we invented naps!

Which homebrew club shirt states "We drink more barleywine before 9 am than most people drink all day!"
Brew on

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 10:10:20 am »
I'm washing down my breakfast tacos with a Deschutes Inversion IPA. I will mow the lawn and maybe take a nap. Or I might have another and just take a nap. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 10:12:35 am »
After having kids I realized that naps are no longer for me. I miss them.  :)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 10:47:00 am »

That's why we invented naps!

Which homebrew club shirt states "We drink more barleywine before 9 am than most people drink all day!"
I think that's the Foam Rangers or one of the Texas clubs.  Love that quote.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995