Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High gluten beer  (Read 571 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
High gluten beer
« on: September 27, 2022, 02:50:18 pm »
Seeing that Brewers Publications has just released a book on brewing gluten-free beer got me thinking....I need to brew a high gluten beer! Because I am a homebrewer and can brew whatever I want.

So what would be a high gluten beer? Doing a little online research, looks like wheat offers the best choice. So I am thinking a 100% wheatwine with rice hulls would get me where I want to go. Or is there another grain out there that has more gluten than wheat than I am aware of.

Second, is there a lab out there that will analyze my beer and tell me the gluten content of it?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: High gluten beer
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 03:19:41 pm »
Wheat is definitely your winner. If you wanted to add even more gluten, you could buy vital wheat gluten which is pretty much 100% gluten. The nightmare will be running out that mash.

Probably going to make your life a little easier thinning out the mash as much as you can with a lot of rice hulls and then boil longer to get to the desired volume.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 05:03:38 pm »
Awesome! i had never heard of "vital wheat gluten" before. Definitely worth adding a package to the mash.

I am really looking forward to brewing this beer and serving it at the company open house this year. For 20 years I have served my brew at this function, and invariably I get someone telling me, "Can you brew a low gluten beer?" My response has always been, drink wine, wine is awesome.

This will shut up the low gluten whiners.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 08:46:21 am »
Awesome! i had never heard of "vital wheat gluten" before. Definitely worth adding a package to the mash.

I am really looking forward to brewing this beer and serving it at the company open house this year. For 20 years I have served my brew at this function, and invariably I get someone telling me, "Can you brew a low gluten beer?" My response has always been, drink wine, wine is awesome.

If you bake bread, VFG can be used to increase gluten content.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 10:37:55 am »

If you bake bread, VFG can be used to increase gluten content.
You can also use it to make seitan, if you like to dabble in meat alternatives
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 09:20:04 pm »
it could be interesting. i never even think about "gluten"  ::) other than using high-gluten flour when i make bread or pizza dough (rarely), i add maybe 2 to 5% by weight of this stuff and i feel it helps make a solid dough

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 07:35:37 am »
Maybe add a bunch of oats and wheat and rye and skip the beta gluten rest? ;)

dumb joke -- i realize this
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:50:12 am by majorvices »