Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kveik impressions  (Read 12543 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: kveik impressions
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2022, 03:21:20 pm »
I had used Kveik [Voss] only a few brews, and every one had been disappointing although still drinkable/enjoyable.  Just nowhere near as good as if I had used a different yeast.

However, I decided to give it one last try, in a split-batch competing against Belle Saison, for a tropical rye saison that was fairly hoppy despite it's 41 IBUs (with a fair amount of hops a few minutes after flameout).   Talked about it here a bit just after brew-day:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18036.msg479567#msg479567

The upshot is, the Kveik-Voss version turned out amazing.  Frankly, one of the best beers I've made (granted, I'm nowhere near as experienced as many others here.)  Maybe my best ever. 

Now, I don't know whether to keep pressing my luck with Voss, or just cash in my chips and walk away on a win.   :-\  I almost wish it had sucked because then it would be consistent with my prior Kveik batches. 

Saving the slurry in the fridge for now.  Might use it on a high gravity wheatwine down the road.  Or not.
There are as many yeasts (or maybe more) as there are styles because different yeasts do well in different beers. I prefer to use a yeast that was selected for the style of beer I am brewing. To me the Kveik yeasts are trying to be a fast warm fermentation friendly catch all. I don’t need fast, I don’t need warm fermentation friendly, and I don’t care for a catch all.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2022, 03:24:45 pm »
I had used Kveik [Voss] only a few brews, and every one had been disappointing although still drinkable/enjoyable.  Just nowhere near as good as if I had used a different yeast.

However, I decided to give it one last try, in a split-batch competing against Belle Saison, for a tropical rye saison that was fairly hoppy despite it's 41 IBUs (with a fair amount of hops a few minutes after flameout).   Talked about it here a bit just after brew-day:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18036.msg479567#msg479567

The upshot is, the Kveik-Voss version turned out amazing.  Frankly, one of the best beers I've made (granted, I'm nowhere near as experienced as many others here.)  Maybe my best ever. 

Now, I don't know whether to keep pressing my luck with Voss, or just cash in my chips and walk away on a win.   :-\  I almost wish it had sucked because then it would be consistent with my prior Kveik batches. 

Saving the slurry in the fridge for now.  Might use it on a high gravity wheatwine down the road.  Or not.
There are as many yeasts (or maybe more) as there are styles because different yeasts do well in different beers. I prefer to use a yeast that was selected for the style of beer I am brewing. To me the Kveik yeasts are trying to be a fast warm fermentation friendly catch all. I don’t need fast, I don’t need warm fermentation friendly, and I don’t care for a catch all.

Same here. Just don't need why it does. And while I certainky haven't tried every beer made with kveik, I have yet to try one that I really liked.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2022, 03:24:49 pm »
Has anyone entered a Kveik in a competition?  Just wondering what kind of score and feedback was given?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2022, 08:19:34 am »

Same here. Just don't need why it does. And while I certainky haven't tried every beer made with kveik, I have yet to try one that I really liked.

I hear ya.  One home run out of 5 at bats (when my other batters all bat .800 or better) is not something I can recommend.  I am curious why it finally made a good beer for me this once, but it is just too often disappointing.  Seems way overhyped (at least in other fora), but whatever.  I thought it only fair to mention the 1 anomalous result I got from it.