Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glassware  (Read 18239 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Glassware
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 05:42:44 pm »
I think it would be cool to get my own glassware too, but then you have disclaimers like this:
"Glassware capacities are approximate and should not be used as a standard of measure. "

Where can you get glasses that have a fill line on them?  I like those.  :)

those are the British pint glasses usually. pubglasses.com has them.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 10:53:26 am »
One Liter BOOT!!

What if you don't want a short pour?
Exactly! My Stiefel is 2 liters.  ;D

1 upin' me huh?  :o Yeah, I really want one of the 2 or 3 liter boots (and apparently they make a 4 liter) but considering that the only time that I would use an ornate, delicate glass drinking boot would probably be when I have consumed a fair share of beer, it would probably be better to hold off on the purchase.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 11:04:02 am »
One Liter BOOT!!

What if you don't want a short pour?
Exactly! My Stiefel is 2 liters.  ;D

1 upin' me huh?  :o Yeah, I really want one of the 2 or 3 liter boots (and apparently they make a 4 liter) but considering that the only time that I would use an ornate, delicate glass drinking boot would probably be when I have consumed a fair share of beer, it would probably be better to hold off on the purchase.
2 liters is the traditional size. And what are we without tradition.  ;D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 02:10:29 pm »
I just got a case of the stanges from Lee Valley. Expected them to arrive next week so this is a welcome surprise. These 6oz glasses have a surprising heft to them despite being quite delicate.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:43 pm »
I just got a case of the stanges from Lee Valley. Expected them to arrive next week so this is a welcome surprise. These 6oz glasses have a surprising heft to them despite being quite delicate.

Is that a picture of weaze holding one of your new stanges?  I mean with the thumb ring who else could it be? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 03:10:04 pm »
If you get one, you can join the club. The password is hop sock.

I have a ton of glassware, but prefer these.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/libbey-glassware/1623/p330412.aspx

The movers broke my very favorite pint glass. it was from Lauginatis. Being out here in the mancave, it really kind of sucks humping dirty / clean glassware to / from the house all the time. Plus, my glasses always seem to make their way into the dishwasher somehow. And, quite often in the cabinets in the house. I'm thinking I will be starting to rely heavily on the big red plastic cups. Especially on poker night.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »
I think I have found the ultimate homebrewer's glass: 1 quart. Chill can in freezer and pour entire 25.36oz in!

This approach will not be suggested to my friend who has an unnatural love of my 24oz glasses. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 04:42:55 pm »
I think it would be cool to get my own glassware too, but then you have disclaimers like this:
"Glassware capacities are approximate and should not be used as a standard of measure. "

Those fill lines are probably approximate too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 01:01:42 pm »
I also have a ton of glassware. I have a lot of shaker pint glasses - but I use those for water, OJ, or tea. I have GABF taster glasses going back to 1995. I have every Anchor Christmas Ale glass going back to 1990 or so. I have a display cabinet in the dining room with the really nice glasses (mostly with gold or silver etching). I have about 20 steins (some litre, some .5 liter) mounted around the bar in the basement and a rack system on the back wall with about 20 different stemmed tulip-type glassware. I have about 100 3-oz tulip-type stemmed tasting glasses (all collected from Big Beers in Vail over the years) that I use for tastings. My go to glass is usually the ones I had made for my wedding a few years back - 10oz tulip stemmed glasses with my brewery logo etched on the front and our wedding date of the back. I have 3 of those left.

I am done with my confession now.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
I like to collect imprinted pint glasses, but don't have tons of room for glasses, so the beer glasses are my every-day-multi-beverages kitchen cupboard glasses.  I have a good dishasher that leaves them clean enough to drink beer regardless of what they held before being washed.

Don't get me wrong, I do have another whole cabinet/bookshelf full of glasses: weizen, Belgian goblets, more pint glasses, wine glasses (red and white), large cocktail glasses, collins glasses, whiskey glasses, tequila glasses, flutes, and wine decanter.  In the closet stored in their boxes are four cases of 5-ounce beer tasting glasses for flights.  The ones that get the least use are the collins glasses.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:28:25 pm by brewsumore »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 06:54:57 am »

In the UK they have to accurate enough to meet the law for weights and measures. 20 Imperial ounces.

In Germany they have to meet the law too, but will be .3 liter, 0.5 liter, 1 liter.

Never have checked the ones I have.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:37 am »
We need to do that here. I've been given a short pour plenty of times by dimwitted bartenders who think foam somehow equates to liquid.

And we need to embrace the metric system instead of the current standard. So much easier.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:46 am »
My collection of glassware became much smaller two weeks ago.  I was moving a table from my shop to the craft/game/beer room and caught the leg of the table all my glasses were on.  The lurch was just right to knock about half of my glassware off the table and on to the concrete floor.  It was a major mess but made picking what glass to use much easier.   ::)

Paul

*** Edited to fix a typo.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 12:22:49 pm »

In the UK they have to accurate enough to meet the law for weights and measures. 20 Imperial ounces.

In Germany they have to meet the law too, but will be .3 liter, 0.5 liter, 1 liter.

Never have checked the ones I have.
I meant ones produced here, not in Europe. If the designer/printer aren't paying attention - that line could be anywhere.

It makes me laugh anyway, seems that beer drinkers are militant about getting a good pour with decent head - until they are paying for that pint. Then it's fill it to the top!!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 05:54:35 pm »
I have to ask, are there glasses made with fill lines in the USA?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!