Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Okay, one more time with this: Chill haze...  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Okay, one more time with this: Chill haze...
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2022, 07:19:39 am »
Enzymes are also used in the brewing process post-fermentation, to control chill-haze in packaged beers and increase shelf-life. Such enzymes are proteolytic based on papain (Carica Papaya) and have an optimum temperature range of 35 – 45°C, and pH range of 4 – 5·5. Added to conditioning tank they will break down the high molecular weight proteins that react with polypeptides to form chill hazes. Whilst other means of inhibiting chill haze are available – for example the use of Silica Hydrogel or PVPP – Papain remains one of the most cost effective and widespread means of achieving this objective. (https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/resources/technical-articles/enzymes-in-the-brewing-process/)
Thanks brother.  The temp range throws me off though.  That translates to [about] 100° - 120°F.  So add this enzyme during the chill?  I'm going to check that link. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Okay, one more time with this: Chill haze...
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2022, 02:19:03 pm »
Enzymes are also used in the brewing process post-fermentation, to control chill-haze in packaged beers and increase shelf-life. Such enzymes are proteolytic based on papain (Carica Papaya) and have an optimum temperature range of 35 – 45°C, and pH range of 4 – 5·5. Added to conditioning tank they will break down the high molecular weight proteins that react with polypeptides to form chill hazes. Whilst other means of inhibiting chill haze are available – for example the use of Silica Hydrogel or PVPP – Papain remains one of the most cost effective and widespread means of achieving this objective. (https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/resources/technical-articles/enzymes-in-the-brewing-process/)
Thanks brother.  The temp range throws me off though.  That translates to [about] 100° - 120°F.  So add this enzyme during the chill?  I'm going to check that link.
Enzymes will work outside their optimum temperature range, just more slowly if the temperature is lower. We mash at the temperatures optimum for the amylase enzymes but plants use them at much lower temperatures. I once asked White Labs how long it takes Clarity Ferm to do its job in an ale fermentation and all they told me was that it would be finished by the time the yeast had finished fermentation.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's