Any Recommendations on using a filter while bottling your beer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Filters
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:15:02 am »
My recommendation is based on my own esperience. I would recommend not bothering. I found it to be a PITA.  But that's me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 07:36:37 pm »
In general I agree with Denny.  I've never filtered beer, but I've done it with mead a couple of times.  It was kind of a pain and didn't get all the really fine sediment out anyway.  I don't recall the filter rating.  It was either a 5 or 1 micron.

Are you bottling from a keg?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 10:26:42 pm »
What are you trying to filter out? A cold crash in the low 30s (F) for 24-48 hours will cause most yeast and hops to settle out so there is no need to filter.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 06:50:59 am »
I agree with all the above.  Filtering is a waste of effort with little, if any, reward.

EDIT:  I found using 1 Whirfloc Tablet in a 5 gallon batch 15 minutes before the end of the boil followed by a cold crash after bottle conditioning is complete produces very bright beer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:45:18 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 09:31:12 am »
I agree with all the above.  Filtering is a waste of effort with little, if any, reward.

EDIT:  I found using 1 Whirfloc Tablet in a 5 gallon batch 15 minutes before the end of the boil followed by a cold crash after bottle conditioning is complete produces very bright beer.

FWIW, a Whirlfloc tab is good for 12 gal. I use 1/2 for 5-6 gal. batches works equally well. Give it a try of you want to save some $

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 06:02:43 am »

FWIW, a Whirlfloc tab is good for 12 gal. I use 1/2 for 5-6 gal. batches works equally well. Give it a try of you want to save some $

Thanks for the tip! 👍🏽
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Kenpropst

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 11:54:47 am »
I make a blackberry Jalapeño beer and I would like to filter out some of the blackberry when I bottle it

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 12:53:13 pm »
I make a blackberry Jalapeño beer and I would like to filter out some of the blackberry when I bottle it

I would consider it a last resort. Can you cold crash and rack from above the sludge? I would guess that if there is that much stuff in it it would clog a filter.

www.dennybrew.com