Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going to try Hard Seltzer  (Read 1114 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Going to try Hard Seltzer
« on: September 24, 2022, 09:13:33 pm »
So, I went to my local MoreBeer and was going to get a kit for the first attempt at hard seltzer. They did not have a kit, but I was able to piece together the ingredients. They advised a Proper Seltzer yeast nutrient kit and said it had everything I needed mixed in. So, what the heck, right? Well, as I read on, I was supposed to buy Fermaid and DAP something or other. According to the clerk, who was very nice and seemed knowledgeable, all I needed is in this package. According to the directions on the package, I boil the sugar water for 10 mins, add the yeast nutrient, bring it down to temp and pitch yeast. According to what I read, the fermentation on this is quick, within 7 days. Then, add about 2oz of peach flavoring and bottle. Does this sound about right? So, I can have 5 gallons of seltzer ready to go in a week? Pretty cool if you ask me. I need to order or go get some carb drops as I am about out. Any input is welcome. RR

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Going to try Hard Seltzer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 11:16:25 am »
Out of curiousity, what yeast strain did they give you? I haven't tried a hard seltzer recipe specifically, but I've played around with several "alternative" fermented beverages over the years, and I always found that the fermentation wasn't as clean as I hoped. But those were before I started making meads. I feel like a wine yeast with the right nutrient mix may give cleaner results than I've had in the past with beer yeast and no nutrient.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 03:10:47 pm »
The gave me an Omega yeast Lutra dry.  It is bubbling along now.  My "wort" for lack of a better word, was not as clear, but I don't much care as long as it tastes ok.  The guy at my LBS said this was the yeast to use for Seltzer, so I went with it. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:46:02 am »
The gave me an Omega yeast Lutra dry.  It is bubbling along now.  My "wort" for lack of a better word, was not as clear, but I don't much care as long as it tastes ok.  The guy at my LBS said this was the yeast to use for Seltzer, so I went with it.
Yes, I wasn't thinking of it of it, but Lutra is a good choice here.

As for clarity of your sugar wine, don't worry until it finishes completely. From there a combination of cold crashing and/or gelatin or KC finings can help clear it up.
Eric B.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 01:59:12 pm »
Been bubbling along for a week now.  I was going to check gravity, but it is still bubbling so I am going to leave it be.  I am not off until Wednesday, so would a week plus a few days be too long for it to be in the fermener?  My plan is to bottle it with some sugar tablets, and then store it in the closet for at least another week or so.  Then put a few in the fridge and see what I have.  Thoughts? 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 06:54:06 pm »
Been bubbling along for a week now.  I was going to check gravity, but it is still bubbling so I am going to leave it be.  I am not off until Wednesday, so would a week plus a few days be too long for it to be in the fermener?  My plan is to bottle it with some sugar tablets, and then store it in the closet for at least another week or so.  Then put a few in the fridge and see what I have.  Thoughts?
Even a few weeks would be fine. There's no need to rush this one.
Eric B.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 09:16:08 am »
Even a few weeks would be fine. There's no need to rush this one.

Awesome.  Thanks.  Might check gravity tomorrow just to see where I am

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 02:13:13 pm »
warning about wine finings:

i tried making a ~5% ABV mead, with the goal of it being very light in flavour, very clear yet highly carbonated.

I know how to make beer clear reasonably fast, but arent as familiar with mead so I asked a wine store for wine finings to really clear it out. he gave me chitosan/kietelsol and said to just throw them in.

my mead barely carbonated at all despite being primed with sugar and bottled, I am not totally sure of the cause but I believe it to be due to the extreme finings (i think he gave me about 200% the recommended dose of these things)

So, re: the seltzer IMHO it would be far better to have full carbonation and a slight haze than a crystal clear flat drink, as for these kind of drinks the carbonation is really what makes it pop in the mouth.

If you're kegging ignore all the above...

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 01:29:29 pm »
warning about wine finings:

i tried making a ~5% ABV mead, with the goal of it being very light in flavour, very clear yet highly carbonated.

I know how to make beer clear reasonably fast, but arent as familiar with mead so I asked a wine store for wine finings to really clear it out. he gave me chitosan/kietelsol and said to just throw them in.

my mead barely carbonated at all despite being primed with sugar and bottled, I am not totally sure of the cause but I believe it to be due to the extreme finings (i think he gave me about 200% the recommended dose of these things)

So, re: the seltzer IMHO it would be far better to have full carbonation and a slight haze than a crystal clear flat drink, as for these kind of drinks the carbonation is really what makes it pop in the mouth.

If you're kegging ignore all the above...

Thank you for the info.  I am going to skip the clearing agent as it is derived from shell fish, at least that is what my LBS said, and my wife is allergic to shell fish.  I am trying to make something both her and my daughter can enjoy as they don't like beer.  I agree, if it is a bit cloudy I don't really care as long as it comes out tasty.  My goal for today is to pull a sample, degas and see if that drops the FG.  If it does, I am going to make a trip to my local Dick's sporting goods and get an arrow shaft and make my own degas tool.  If not, maybe a trip to the local LBS tf the degas doesn't work and get some more yeast.  Maybe I am in a stall, but I don't think so.  Either way, I am going to give it a go and see what comes of it.  Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 01:42:09 pm »
Update to my last post regarding gravity  I just checked it and we are at about 1.000, and maybe even a bit lower.  I am happy about that, but it still has a bit of a lemon smell to it.  I gave it a taste and it has no taste at all, so that is good as I am going to add peach flavor to it and I was hoping the lemon small would not be in the taste as well.  I am guessing from the yeast, but we will see.  Since I am not using the sample I am going to try the degas thing just for the heck of it.  But, I am pretty happy with my gravity number now.  Seems a few extra days was what it needed.  Patience is a virtue as they say.  Rock on.  RR
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 01:54:29 pm by redrocker652002 »