Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much crystal  (Read 1614 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Too much crystal
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 04:45:35 pm »
Not sure what's going on and I don't know enough to adjust your recipe without tasting the beer.  I've been in this boat a few times where a beer I designed came out not the way I wished.  I like to brew "blend-in" recipes to see what happens if I try to salvage these beers.  In your case, I might brew the same recipe with the crystal malt, aromatic, and chocolate malts reduced and/or eliminated so as to have something I can blend into the original brew.  It often works, and I learn a few things by approaching the problem this way.  Try it!  Or don't!

Offline Wicked Wally

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 07:24:11 pm »
I also toasted about two pounds of the Maris for ten minutes at 350°F for the same reason.
How much diastatic power did you estimate for this recipe? 

The only malts that I see having diastatic power (DP) are Maris Otter and Aromatic.   

DP for Maris Otter appears to vary by brand [1] - the three that I saw were in the 50 to 60 range. 

For Briess Aromatic Munich, product information shows a DP of 40. 

I would anticipate that the 2# of toasted Maris Otter contribute no DP. 

If my DP values and calculations are correct, 10# of Maris Otter (50 to 60 DP) and 2# of Aromatic (40 DP) results in an overall DP of 30 to 35. 

----------

[1] DP values for Maris Otter were from Brewers Friend full recipe calculator.

----------
edits for formatting

I expected to lose some DP roasting the MO, but I figured two pounds wouldn't make this big of a difference. I also am surprised that it's not disgustingly sweet with all of that uneaten sugar floating around in there. My calculations were based on beer smith's which gave Maris Otter a Linter of 120. That with the aromatic malt calculates to 64. That seemed like enough to me but maybe I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:12:03 am by Wicked Wally »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 06:01:50 am »

[/quote]
I also am surprised that it's not disgustingly sweet with all of that uneaten sugar floating around in there.
[/quote]

Not enough diastatic power would have left a lot of starches unconverted so I wouldn't expect the result to be excessive sweetness.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Wicked Wally

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 06:22:22 am »
Well at least it tastes good enough to drink. I'll just have to consider this a featherweight stout and be done with it. I just wish I knew what I did wrong so as not to waste anymore time and money.

I will try this one more time without roasting the Maris Otter and adding less adjuncts. I will also lower temp mash, and maybe add some amylase enzyme to the mash.