Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Does this seem like a valuable thing for the AHA to do?

Yes, it will help increase membership by making homebrewing more inclusive.
10 (43.5%)
No, this is not why I joined the AHA. I want brewing info.
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 06, 2022, 03:56:03 pm

Author Topic: 9/29 Webinar: The Art of Inclusive Communication  (Read 4595 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: 9/29 Webinar: The Art of Inclusive Communication
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2022, 03:29:32 am »
I don’t understand why everything has to have these ridiculous political undertones.  The FACTS are this hobby and anything related to beer is white male dominated.  Do you want our hobby to grow?  Have more people talk about beer and brewing from all walks of life?  Well that takes a little bit of work, like growing a business.  How do we relate/connect to others that are not white males?  Stop the nonsense. Expanding the homebrew hobby and craft beer enjoyment is good for all parties.  No one is attacking you or me.  How can you and I lend a hand and talk beer nerd stuff with other people that aren’t white and have a beard and a second fridge full of beer.  Isn’t the idea to grow and share the hobby?

https://crithinkalreview.com/2021/03/25/white-bashing-americas-new-past-time/

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2022, 06:46:55 am »
more productively, and i guess based on my personal experience. i can definitely confirm "craft beer" has been growing greatly just over the past 10 or maybe as little as 5 years in korea/china. there is a potential language barrier of course, but the consumers/producers of craft beer and a likely growing homebrew community are wealthier/better educated and are more likely to speak english than the average citizen there.

i mean i guess this is the AHA, with emphasis on the first A, but i feel like the most obvious communities to reach out to in America, and the ones most forgotten/ignored are latin/central american origin and asian.

i dont think either of them need special (and dainty!) communication methods to reach, theyre right there for you to make contact with. i promise they wont cry.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2022, 07:34:52 am »
If part of the AHA mission is to expand the hobby it makes perfect sense to reach out to underrepresented groups and the type of training that happened makes sense to do to facilitate that for the paid staff and governing committee. It doesn’t really make so much sense to offer it to all members as the ones most likely to benefit from voluntarily participating are probably going to be the ones most resistant.
I think active outreach, which I think Fred was suggesting, is the most effective.
One thing I have noticed is that over the years participation by women has seemed (I can’t know for sure) to dwindle to nothing on this forum. I don’t at all think this is a hostile environment for women but I do wonder if there i# something about the discussions here that are unappealing to women in tone. Don’t know,
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2022, 09:51:07 am »
Participation by women on the forum may have dwindled, but OTOH in my club (my most direct measurement), it's grown. I'd guess 40% of our club is women.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2022, 10:13:25 am »
I agree with Denny’s observation.  My club’s president is a woman.  And a BJCP judge and terrific brewer, ciderer, and mead maker.  I would hope that she hasn’t felt limitations, but I will have to ask her.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2022, 10:22:37 am »
I am aware that a lot of women home brew, I learned to make mead from my wife for instance. That’s exactly why I brought it up. I know there out there but am curious why they don’t seem to find this forum appealing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 10:45:06 am »
I am aware that a lot of women home brew, I learned to make mead from my wife for instance. That’s exactly why I brought it up. I know there out there but am curious why they don’t seem to find this forum appealing.

I would say its no different than why anyone skips this forum. Just not interested.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

9/29 Webinar: The Art of Inclusive Communication
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2022, 11:26:35 am »
I believe Amanda was the last female that posted very often. She left when the arguments blew up over Low O2 a few years ago. Seems like Low O2 had that effect on at least three forums that I am aware of.

Annie still stops in from time to time. Always great to see her when she does. …but it’s always too long between visits.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:36:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2022, 11:58:28 am »
I believe Amanda was the last female that posted very often. She left when the arguments blew up over Low O2 a few years ago. Seems like Low O2 had that effect on at least three forums that I am aware of.

Annie still stops in from time to time. Always great to see her when she does. …but it’s always too long between visits.

Amanda's main incentive to leave was having a baby. Annie is very busy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2022, 05:56:24 pm »

I would say its no different than why anyone skips this forum. Just not interested.
Why are they not interested? How many of the women who you know that home brew have told you that they are “just not interested?” in a home brewing forum?
I am not trying to bust your balls Denny, I find you to be a very decent and thoughtful person so I am surprised that you are not curious why 100% of female brewers avoid this forum.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 04:23:48 am »
None of the males on my side, or wife’s side crochets, I do.
In fact, the only male I know that crochets owns and works on a local farm that raises alpacas
to make its own yarn.  The farm has a small store on site, and every Tuesday afternoon
they have what’s called stitch & b****, they chat, and knit or crochet.  The times
visiting the store with wife, or wife and daughter, I was highly encouraged to join
their stitch and b**** club, all women.  I had no desire to do so, and crocheted solo, or with wife.
The store was always warm and welcoming, it’s just something I didn’t want to do.  Before becoming a mommy (now 2) my daughter joined a local knit and crochet club where she lives.  The club comprised of mostly older women, some younger, no men.

Hobbies will appeal to a certain demographic more than another, so what. 
It has nothing to do with race, gender, religion, or age discrimination.

Crocheted steady for about 5 years, stopped about 3 years ago, around same time started brewing.
Made so many hats, scarves, baby blankets, booties, mittens, baby sweater, many failures.
Hats are the hardest to get right, pattern, size, and colors.  Wife and daughter to this day wear
a wool crocheted hat I made for winter.  Over the years daughter would get a compliment
on her hat and was asked if her grandmother made it.  I can imagine what was going through the
women's head when she replied, my father did.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:27:09 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2022, 07:13:04 am »

Amanda's main incentive to leave was having a baby. Annie is very busy.
I’m happy that it was a positive reason (a baby) vs a negative one (a forum discussion gone off the rails).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 08:20:16 am »

Why are they not interested? How many of the women who you know that home brew have told you that they are “just not interested?” in a home brewing forum?
I am not trying to bust your balls Denny, I find you to be a very decent and thoughtful person so I am surprised that you are not curious why 100% of female brewers avoid this forum.

2hy does anyone, male or female, not participate in the forum? They just don't care to.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2022, 04:00:07 pm »

2hy does anyone, male or female, not participate in the forum? They just don't care to.

I tend to agree, although I don't have real data to back it up.

My wife and I brew together.  I share Zymurgy articles with her, but she let's me do most of the reading for this hobby.

She's busy on the sausage making forums, and I let her take the lead in that hobby.

I'm pretty sure that if we start making cheese, we'll be eligible to run for public office in Wisconsin. 

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2022, 05:35:55 pm »

Not trying to call you out, but “bust your balls” is not very inviting to perspective female forum members.