Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Free Samples  (Read 967 times)

Offline Darrag

• 1st Kit
Free Samples
« on: October 19, 2022, 08:18:45 pm »
Hi, Im new to the forum. I am currently looking to start my own winery, specifically producing Mead. I know this forum tends to lean heavily towards beer brewing, but the issues Im having are more or less universal to the brewing industry. I am starting my business and going through the legal hurdles that seem to be everywhere while trying to get my name out. I am looking for advice on giving away free samples and the legality behind it. I am aware of Texas laws on homebrewing but cannot seem to locate anything specifically about samples. I am aware that I cannot make any attempts to make money off of the product, so no entry fees for events, no rewarding donations with bottles, etc. but is there a rule overall about hosting a free event to give away samples?

If its not illegal to have an event, would the addition of a donation system completely unaffected by the product be advisable?

Please let me know what yall think!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Free Samples
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 06:50:16 am »
I have no experience on any of this, but just wanted to say good luck to you.  You will get a lot of input I am sure, this place rocks!!!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:00:18 am »
Hi, Im new to the forum. I am currently looking to start my own winery, specifically producing Mead. I know this forum tends to lean heavily towards beer brewing, but the issues Im having are more or less universal to the brewing industry. I am starting my business and going through the legal hurdles that seem to be everywhere while trying to get my name out. I am looking for advice on giving away free samples and the legality behind it. I am aware of Texas laws on homebrewing but cannot seem to locate anything specifically about samples. I am aware that I cannot make any attempts to make money off of the product, so no entry fees for events, no rewarding donations with bottles, etc. but is there a rule overall about hosting a free event to give away samples?

If its not illegal to have an event, would the addition of a donation system completely unaffected by the product be advisable?

Please let me know what yall think!

You really need locally based legal advice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:58:03 am »
Contact some of the meaderies around Austin and ask if they can refer you to their legal counsel. The TABC is strict about its regulations and typically adopts the most narrow interpretation of the alcohol code and its own regulations.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 09:53:57 am »
Your state or local brewers/vintners guild will be best suited to answer this question

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 07:01:50 pm »
I would hold off on any free samples till you are fully licensed.

I understand it can be a long process but it is not worth it to be denied license because you violated a law.

Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com