Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I shocked my yeast  (Read 546 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
I shocked my yeast
« on: September 29, 2022, 10:59:05 am »
Tuesday I brewed 10 gallons of 1.050 alt. I split it into two 6.5 gallon big mouth bubbler fermenters. I pitched one with a single packet of WLP036 Dusseldorf alt yeast, the second with 2 packets of K97. I then placed both fermenters into a small chest freezer with the temperature set on the controller (so I thought) at 58 to 62°F.

Wednesday morning before I headed out at 8:00 a.m. I checked the temperature controller and saw it was reading 56°. Huh. I must have screwed it up. I opened the lid and saw the K97 fermenter was going great with a nice krausen, while the WLP036 was just starting, as would be expected. I hastily re-set the temperature controller.

When I got home at 3 p.m, I went to check the controller and found that now I had really screwed up the reset, as now it was reading 2°! I unplugged it and opened the lid, and left it open.  Basement temperature is around 65°.

This morning I checked the fermenters. K97 is back to full krausen, but no sign of life in the WLP036. How long should I wait to add new yeast to it? One day? Two days? Now? No more WLP036, but I do have a packet of Diamond lager.

Rant, skip if you don't want to read: I hate the Johnson A421 Digital temperature controller. Every time I use it I have to get the instruction manual out, and the instruction manual is awful. I used to own a Johnson temperature controller that lasted 15 years. Temperature was set with a dial, that was it. Digital controller has all these settings, and I am never sure when it is reset properly until I check it several times and am satisfied I got it right. I will give it credit, once it is set it performs like a champ.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: I shocked my yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 11:46:38 am »
You can still get the Johnson Control analog controller. I had one on my keezer for over10 years. Replaced it with an Inkbird a couple of months ago when I broke the capillary tube.

Amazon gets ~$92 for one. I remember when they were half that price.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 09:58:42 am »
Rant, skip if you don't want to read: I hate the Johnson A421 Digital temperature controller. Every time I use it I have to get the instruction manual out, and the instruction manual is awful. I used to own a Johnson temperature controller that lasted 15 years. Temperature was set with a dial, that was it. Digital controller has all these settings, and I am never sure when it is reset properly until I check it several times and am satisfied I got it right. I will give it credit, once it is set it performs like a champ.

I've had one of these for years and having to open it and mess with the jumpers is a pain. I moved it over to controlling keg temperature so I don't have to worry about changing the settings anymore. I bought an inkbird for fermentation which is a lot easier and cheaper.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:55:53 am »
....and 24 hours later, the WLP036 fermenter us fermenting nicely, with an inch thick krausen head.

Interesting side note.  There is 2-3 inches of cold break in the bottom of the fermenter. I've never seen that volume of cold break before. I guess that's what happens when a fermenter spends 6 hours in a chest freezer set at 2°F.  ::)