Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams festbier  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Sam Adams festbier
« on: September 30, 2022, 07:48:58 am »
I recently bought the S A sweater weather variety pack. The first one I had was the festbier. 👍
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: Sam Adams festbier
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 08:22:11 am »
Glad to hear that. I just bought a 12 pack of SA Festbier (Oktoberfest). Haven't tried it yet.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 05:58:26 am »
Glad to hear that. I just bought a 12 pack of SA Festbier (Oktoberfest). Haven't tried it yet.

I haven’t had a Sam Adams Oktoberfest in a couple years.  But I recall it being one of the best Oktoberfest beers I ever had.  Now I’m thinking I should get some!!!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 08:13:05 am »
The festbier and Octoberfest beers are two different beers.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 08:22:18 am »
The festbier and Octoberfest beers are two different beers.
They got me on that one. From their website, it looks like the Oktoberfest is more of a Marzen. When I was at Oktoberfest in 1996, the beer was very pale - not like either of the Sam Adams beers.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 08:26:36 am »
I hadn't noticed that they put out a Festbier along with their usual Octoberfest this year. Their Ofest is good this year - less sweet than I remember. It still remains one of the best examples of the American-style Octoberfest, but that distinct caramel note is just not there in the Paulaner and Ayinger Marzens that I've been drinking lately. I did noice on the SA website that the Octoberfest includes "Sam Adams Octoberfest malt" in the grist. It's pretty cool that SA has taken the time to develop their own malt for one of their flagship seasonals.

I'll have to hunt down the Festbier. The image on their website looks a bit deeper in color than what I'm used to seeing in most German Festbiers, but it certainly sounds/looks like a tasty one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 05:52:36 pm »
Festbier is the Munich type Oktoberfest beer (yellow in color), whereas Oktoberfest in NA, is orange/amber in color.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 05:56:28 pm »
I did noice on the SA website that the Octoberfest includes "Sam Adams Octoberfest malt" in the grist. It's pretty cool that SA has taken the time to develop their own malt for one of their flagship seasonals.
Now I have to say I did not have SA Oktoberfest this year.

I like the “Oktoberfest malt”. Nice marketing touch. I doubt that SA is malting their own malt (correct me if I am wrong).
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 02:13:38 pm »
Fortunate or unfortunate, depending on point of view, to have a grocery store, near George Mason University in Fairfax, VA, with rotating taps and amazing pint prices (for this area). Recently had a Same Adams Festbier on draught. Wow! Was, IMO, great.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 02:47:44 pm »
I did noice on the SA website that the Octoberfest includes "Sam Adams Octoberfest malt" in the grist. It's pretty cool that SA has taken the time to develop their own malt for one of their flagship seasonals.
Now I have to say I did not have SA Oktoberfest this year.

I like the “Oktoberfest malt”. Nice marketing touch. I doubt that SA is malting their own malt (correct me if I am wrong).

I doubt they make it, but I bet they have it made for them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 04:13:48 pm »
Believe Denny is correct. According to my latest investor info from Boston Brewing Co. they are partnering with Pepsi/Mountain Dew for an alcohol brew. Hmm... sounds like a radler to me (of course radler without the caffeine).

On another subject, I did just recently receive a nice Sam Adams wireless charger just for being an "owner" of the company.

Reminds me of the time when all AHA members received 2 of the nice Sam Adams glasses just because we are members of the AHA.