Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Does this seem like a valuable thing for the AHA to do?

Yes, it will help increase membership by making homebrewing more inclusive.
10 (43.5%)
No, this is not why I joined the AHA. I want brewing info.
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 06, 2022, 03:56:03 pm

Author Topic: 9/29 Webinar: The Art of Inclusive Communication  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: 9/29 Webinar: The Art of Inclusive Communication
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2022, 12:28:08 pm »
Has anyone conducted a study on the demographics of forum usage in general? Everything I've come across says women are less likely to participate in forum discussions no matter what the topic. Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram are used by women more than men while discussion forums are all male dominated. Brulosophy published the results of their annual homebrewer survey not long ago and male homebrewers accounted for over 97% of the respondents other studies have the percentage of males at 89%. How does this forums participation of male and females compare to those numbers? Probably pretty close I bet.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Fire Rooster

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2022, 02:41:57 pm »
Rosey Grier tried getting men into needle point years ago.
There was a slight uptick for a bit, then faded back to where it was.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosey-Griers-Needlepoint-Men-Grier/dp/0802704212

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosey_Grier

Modify message

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2022, 05:19:24 pm »
Rosey Grier tried getting men into needle point years ago.
There was a slight uptick for a bit, then faded back to where it was.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosey-Griers-Needlepoint-Men-Grier/dp/0802704212

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosey_Grier

Modify message
Wasn’t he also on the Brady Bunch defending one of the boys for being in the glee club or something? Showing my age...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
9/29 Webinar: The Art of Inclusive Communication
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2022, 06:23:36 pm »
I saw the webinar. I did not attend it but May be look at it from different angle.

It is geared towards commercial brewers. Most of the time brewery owners are younger then this forum users. In 2010 when I open brewery there were less then 2000 of them and I was already old at that time. There were a plenty of 30-40 years that open brewery after 2010.

Point I am trying to make is we older people respect other without defining what race, gender, height, weight, nationality background… we are. We do not need to be divided into a groups.

Younger generation on the other hand like to have everything equal and the only way to measure is to divide populations into a groups.

To my opinion dividing population into a groups is a slippery slope because there is a plenty of people who like to point the differences between these groups for their own benefit.

Now I am sure that someone can start arguing with me about older generation.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2022, 08:36:58 am »
I saw the webinar. I did not attend it but May be look at it from different angle.

It is geared towards commercial brewers. Most of the time brewery owners are younger then this forum users. In 2010 when I open brewery there were less then 2000 of them and I was already old at that time. There were a plenty of 30-40 years that open brewery after 2010.

Point I am trying to make is we older people respect other without defining what race, gender, height, weight, nationality background… we are. We do not need to be divided into a groups.

Younger generation on the other hand like to have everything equal and the only way to measure is to divide populations into a groups.

To my opinion dividing population into a groups is a slippery slope because there is a plenty of people who like to point the differences between these groups for their own benefit.

If that's the case, why is the AHA hosting an event for commercial brewers? I would think that would fall to the BA, not AHA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2022, 09:59:58 am »
Has the AHA gone woke?

Of course the AHA is woke, silly. They are located in Boulder, Colorado.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2022, 07:47:03 am »

If that's the case, why is the AHA hosting an event for commercial brewers? I would think that would fall to the BA, not AHA.

I assumed the seminar was setup by the BA and had "extra" space so why not open it up the AHA members.  No biggie.

That's the corporate minion side of me though.  The not so politically correct side of me immediately realized this would trigger the "panties in a bunch because they tried to make me pull my head out" crowd to pitch a fit.  The hardest place to find a snowflake is in the mirror.

It's hard to face your own limitations.  Doing so equals growth.  Others have different ideas and beliefs and that's what the country was established on.

I probably need more coffee this morning but this whole discussion sounds like "Headline! Old man yells at cloud!!" to me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2022, 08:50:41 am »

I assumed the seminar was setup by the BA and had "extra" space so why not open it up the AHA members.  No biggie.

That's the corporate minion side of me though.  The not so politically correct side of me immediately realized this would trigger the "panties in a bunch because they tried to make me pull my head out" crowd to pitch a fit.  The hardest place to find a snowflake is in the mirror.

It's hard to face your own limitations.  Doing so equals growth.  Others have different ideas and beliefs and that's what the country was established on.

I probably need more coffee this morning but this whole discussion sounds like "Headline! Old man yells at cloud!!" to me.

Paul

I assure you my objection was not based on that. And the description says it was being hosted by the AHA, not the BA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell