Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 14433 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2022, 09:25:22 am »
Many Doppelbocks made in Germany are just a tick over 7% ABV. Some of my favorites are mid 7 range. Look up Korbinian for example.

I'm remembering from somehwere that Doppelbock dependes on the ⁰Plato of the wort. Found a reference.
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/Wh98KEUoo1/

There is Ayinger Celebrator at 18.5⁰ P and 6.7% ABV as an example, meets the OG spec.
https://www.ayinger.de/cms/index.php/celebrator-266.html

Celebrator is my favorite doppelbock. Just a wonderful beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2022, 01:16:27 pm »
Many Doppelbocks made in Germany are just a tick over 7% ABV. Some of my favorites are mid 7 range. Look up Korbinian for example.

I'm remembering from somehwere that Doppelbock dependes on the ⁰Plato of the wort. Found a reference.

There is Ayinger Celebrator at 18.5⁰ P and 6.7% ABV as an example, meets the OG spec.

Same here. It is rich and flavorful, but not overly so,and each sip seems to invite the next. There are many plastic goats scattered about my house.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2022, 04:06:15 pm »

Same here. It is rich and flavorful, but not overly so,and each sip seems to invite the next. There are many plastic goats scattered about my house.

I hang them on my beer fridge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2022, 08:17:36 am »
Well, the taste test of the NEM Vienna Lager is less than stellar. It just tastes… weird.  Kind of a soap flavor or something. I’m going to give it some more time but at this point it’s a dumper.

It makes me wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. My goal remains low(er) carb, full flavor beer but I am concerned this may not be the path forward.

I may take this advice:

… just regular procedures but very low OG and enzymes.

Of course, the possibility exists that I can improve on the process so I will try again, but I am at a crossroads right now. Second guessing myself. The best bet may be brew a small grain bill and/or use enzymes. IDK

In the mean time, I have an empty keg and it was 3°F outside when I got up this AM. I ain’t going no where. So… why not brew?  This is the Tommy/Dwain collaboration beer we’ll do a side-by-side taste test on in a month or so.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 11:33:27 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2023, 05:15:34 am »
Well, it’s back to the drawing board on the full body, flavorful, low(er) carb effort. This time I chose a Dark Mild because it’s a style that is low OG/FG to see how it turns out.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 05:17:31 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2023, 06:16:54 am »
Well, it’s back to the drawing board on the full body, flavorful, low(er) carb effort. This time I chose a Dark Mild because it’s a style that is low OG/FG to see how it turns out.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

My two cents.

Currently drinking a batch, 8 lbs Vienna and 1/2 lb Dark Munich.
One of my best brews to date.  I brew nothing but 3.? to 4 ABV brews.
Tasty session brews are challenging, I even read a book on it.
I think you have to rely on robust grain additions at low levels.
The best I can tell all my brews fall in the Ordinary Bitter category,
low ABV, low carbonation.

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 08:48:54 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2023, 07:25:54 am »
Thx FireRooster. That’s encouraging. My goal is the 10 +/-2 carb range per 12 oz. That will result in a reduced carb count for the beers I routinely brewed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 08:00:51 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Today’s brew
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2023, 12:27:33 pm »

Is this one low carb by recipe only or will you also employ additives or special techniques?

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2023, 03:34:34 pm »
I am trying to just use a recipe (low OG and FG) — the only additive was 4% Turbinado sugar to dry it out just a touch otherwise no special techniques outside my routine brewday (152°F 1 hr, 168°F 30 min mash out).

The grain bill is nearly verbatim from CAMRA’s Essential Home Brewing though I did substitute amber malt for their biscuit (and the sugar addition mentioned above) in an attempt to make it mine. I did withhold the dark grains and crystal to the mash out which is routine for me. pH was a bit lower than anticipated but the wort was ‘read the funny papers’ clear (5.0 actual vs 5.2-5.4 target).

Also, they called for EKG and S-04 but I subbed Pioneer and Cellar Science English because I had them available.

I got a bit higher OG than I expected (1.034 actual vs 1.030 anticipated). I attribute it to the smaller grain bill getting better efficiency than my routine. That lowered my BU:GU a little so we’ll see (.605 planned vs .521 actual).  In the future, I may simply reduce wattage during the boil to compensate if I see a trend develop.

I plan a Scottish Light, Irish Stout, and Ordinary Bitter to continue the low(er) carb effort.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 04:36:11 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2023, 05:41:45 pm »
Thx FireRooster. That’s encouraging. My goal is the 10 +/-2 carb range per 12 oz. That will result in a reduced carb count for the beers I routinely brewed.
I’ve been making Apple Cider lately. It’s delicious.

Store bought apple juice ferments down to 1.000 territory. Very low carbs if you were to drink it like that. You could also dilute the apple juice to lower calories.

I usually back sweeten back to the 1.006 territory which would lower the ABV but increase the carbs.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2023, 11:15:59 am »
Brewing an Ordinary Bitter today

Fire Rooster

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2023, 04:21:54 am »
Brewing an Ordinary Bitter today

Your efficiency seems to be high.
Unknowingly I've been brewing Ordinary Bitters.
Low ABV, IBU and carbonation seems to be what I prefer.
The book that was read on session brews stressed that
low ABV and IBU beers have nothing to hide behind.
With that thought in mind I eliminated any grain/malt that
couldn't stand on its own (100%).  Crystals and cara__ were eliminated.
Another brewer mentioned brewing with 2 malts and two hops,
which seems to be where I'm at right now.  Occasionally a SMASH
is brewed to taste and feel the full impact of the grain and hop.
Also occasionally, a third grain is added if it's a newcomer.
Simplicity and basics was mentioned, I personally believe your recipes
are too busy and muddled for a low ABV brew.  I also believe that others
who are not happy with their brews, or their progress, should consider
going back to the basics.  Quality ingredients are paramount for
session/ordinary bitter brews, there is no ABV, IBU, or carbonation zing
to distract you.

That's what I believe, although everything is subject to change if proved/tasted otherwise.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:45:17 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2023, 08:21:11 am »
I can appreciate those comments. I usually plan 70% but with the last low(er) carb beer I overshot so I increased the expectation on this batch. Ironically, I came in under my plan.

I do prefer a more simple recipe design. However, when I brew a new (to me) recipe I most likely brew it as-is unless I simply can’t get the ingredient. After the as-is results are evaluated I can change the recipe to meet my brewing style. Both the Mild and Bitter recipes came from CAMRA’s book.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:33:25 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2023, 08:27:13 am »
I can appreciate those comments. I do prefer a more simple recipe design. However, when I brew a new (to me) recipe I most likely brew it as-is unless I simply can’t get the ingredient. After the as-is results are evaluated I can change the recipe to meet my style. Both the Mild and Bitter recipes came from CAMRA’s book.

I'm glad you took my opinions well.
They were well intended, and with a glad heart.
Some can easily make things personal, when it's not.

I haven't followed any recipes for a long time.
If I make a certain style, it's by accident.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:30:03 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2023, 08:51:46 am »
"I haven't followed any recipes for a long time.
If I make a certain style, it's by accident."

I love that approach!  It reminds me of what someone here once said (Denny?) about entering competitions - enter good beers that you brewed based on how they turned out, not how you intended them to be....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"