Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1469 (a.k.a. Timothy Taylor)  (Read 6472 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Wyeast 1469 (a.k.a. Timothy Taylor)
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2022, 10:47:06 am »
i am extremely frustrated.

I have been trying to get this yeast for more than 2 years now.

this is the SECOND TIME, the one place that has it has claimed it is in stock and then suddenly they dont. this time they even processed my order payment, then afterwards emailed me and said its out of stock.

I still need to brew this coming month. I just want a flavourful and delicious yeast that is at least 2 of the following:

ideally POF-
over ~72% attenuation without simple sugars
flavourful rather than neutral
"english" or has some good fruity esters

Any thoughts?

I actually got WLP095 on hand as a gift last month but didn't intend to use it, thoughts on it?

WLP023? but i heard its very finnicky, though i believe my source of it to be fresh
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:59:03 am by fredthecat »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2022, 12:52:30 pm »
We went on a long trip to Europe. Spent the first 10 days in Yorkshire, drank TT Landlord often and stayed in one of the TT Inns in Skipton near Keighley. POF? Never had a hint of phenolic off flavors.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2022, 10:17:33 am »
i am extremely frustrated.

I have been trying to get this yeast for more than 2 years now.

this is the SECOND TIME, the one place that has it has claimed it is in stock and then suddenly they dont. this time they even processed my order payment, then afterwards emailed me and said its out of stock.

I still need to brew this coming month. I just want a flavourful and delicious yeast that is at least 2 of the following:

ideally POF-
over ~72% attenuation without simple sugars
flavourful rather than neutral
"english" or has some good fruity esters

Any thoughts?

I actually got WLP095 on hand as a gift last month but didn't intend to use it, thoughts on it?

WLP023? but i heard its very finnicky, though i believe my source of it to be fresh

Do you have access to most White Labs strains, or just a few? I haven't used 023, but 005 and 013 would fit the bill and are typically easy to find. There's always the fallback of co-pitching Windsor + Nottingham (or some other clean/attenuative dry strain)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2022, 10:47:09 am »
My next 10 gallon batch of mild next month, which will be split between two fermenters, will receive WY1318 London Ale III and WY1187 Ringwood. These are both great English ale yeasts, although they do not have the strong stone fruit esters of WY1469. I will then use the yeast cakes to make Baltic porter.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2022, 03:21:13 pm »

Do you have access to most White Labs strains, or just a few? I haven't used 023, but 005 and 013 would fit the bill and are typically easy to find. There's always the fallback of co-pitching Windsor + Nottingham (or some other clean/attenuative dry strain)

My next 10 gallon batch of mild next month, which will be split between two fermenters, will receive WY1318 London Ale III and WY1187 Ringwood. These are both great English ale yeasts, although they do not have the strong stone fruit esters of WY1469. I will then use the yeast cakes to make Baltic porter.

i definitely want some stone fruit esters, tbh i was planning a sort of dubbelesque grist and OG but would use WY1469.

i believe WY1318 equals WLP013. i tried WLP013 before and enjoyed it, its good that i have data points on it. i might, definitely got the oak esters and a malty perception from it

i heard 005 is finnicky, but have heard good and bad things about them. i

im doing windsor/bry97 copitch in about a week on a porter and ill see if i like it. the homebrew shop tht had wy1469 said to email them again soon and see if they got it back in, so theres still a chance. if so i hope to keep some samples of it around and save it.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2022, 02:20:24 pm »
Didn't get that foam monster as seen in Timothy Taylor video, or from others.
Fermentation was normal like any others brewed, and started within 24 hours.
Should two smack packs been pitched ?

Was your fermentation open or otherwise well aerated?  I got an absolutely huge head when I did an open ferment with Ringwood in a square fermenter, and none of the dreaded diacetyl.  These yeasts love oxygen.

No open fermentation, aerated the best I could.
Square fermenter ?
How long do you leave the fermenter open ?

I use a 5.3 gal speidel fermenter, I wonder if I could just leave the stopper off for a couple of days.
Next brew planned is with 1469 also.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=35050&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY-PBhCNARIsABcz772ptsnuq5vQ5hEzqd19f4ehCLze81a_Uw9aCtPyH24dBFWlF8AymH0aArhDEALw_wcB

It was a vittles vault I originally bought for Belgian beers.  I left the top off for 4 days I think, and just put a grain bag mesh over the top to keep anything big out.

I'm not saying this is necessary but they often aerate DURING fermentation with these yeasts.  If you aren't pleased with the beer, it's something to consider.

I'm game. Next batch I'll leave the top off for a couple of days, and cover with mesh bag.
How did you aerate ?
Next batch is almost identical to previous one, let's see what happens.
Thanks, never considered doing this.
I used a sanitized spoon and stirred a few times the first few days.

One way to areate is to rack the beer to a second fermenter, and let it splash a little.

https://zythophile.co.uk/2008/09/24/a-tasty-drop-the-history-of-an-almost-vanished-fermentation-system/

Thanks for the double drop info, couldn't remember who it was, and it was you.
Love 1469, open ferment & double drop works very well for me, and used for every batch since, no problems at all.
I'm an OCD sanitizer, so that probably helps.