Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What would you do? RE: Yeast pitching conundrum...  (Read 719 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
What would you do? RE: Yeast pitching conundrum...
« on: September 25, 2022, 01:11:43 pm »
I brewed today and pitched my Omega German Lager yeast.  My supply is low and my schedule lines up to brew next Friday 9/30 but this yeast would still be at the bottom of this fermenter so...   I just ordered ONE pack of Diamond dry lager yeast that is arriving Tuesday and I also have a pack of 34/70.  I feel like these are very similar or even the same yeast.  Pitch the one pack of Diamond or pitch them together when I brew on Friday?  I believe it will be a Vienna Lager.  Cheers and thanks. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Fire Rooster

Re: What would you do? RE: Yeast pitching conundrum...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 02:35:35 pm »
I can't hold a candle to many brewer here on yeast knowledge.
But if I have a vote, I say pitch both.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 02:42:13 pm »
I'd probably do both, but I've used a single of either with good results
If it were an ale I would pitch one 11g pack but with it being a lager I thought two packs would be better.  The Diamond will be "fresh" and the 34/70 has a date of 02/2024 on it so both should be ready for action.  I can't imagine that they wouldn't play nicely with each other. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 03:03:48 pm »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 03:05:49 pm »
If it were an ale I would pitch one 11g pack but with it being a lager I thought two packs would be better.  The Diamond will be "fresh" and the 34/70 has a date of 02/2024 on it so both should be ready for action.  I can't imagine that they wouldn't play nicely with each other.

Yeah, they're close enough that they shouldn't conflict. I usually do 2 for a belt and suspenders approach, but when I've felt experimental I've just used one. Beer came out fine that way, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 02:05:59 pm »
I did this yesterday.  A Vienna Lager with 45% Vienna, 30% Munich 2, 25% Pilsner and then 2 ounces of Carafa Special III.  Spalt Select hops from the start of the boil and then again with 10 minutes left.  I added a pack of Diamond and a pack of 34/70 and then hit it with 30 seconds of pure O2 and had activity in 6 hours.  I feel like it's going to be really nice. 
Ken from Chicago.