Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Stout - Comments appreciated  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Imperial Stout - Comments appreciated
« on: October 12, 2022, 01:38:16 pm »
This will be brewed over the holidays, so I still have a few months to root out the line between "complex" and "overblown".   :)

The goal is to brew something that bounces around the palate. A touch of roast, but also other appropriate flavors such as chocolate, coffee, vanilla, etc.  A malty, winter sipper.  Not looking to pigeonhole this as American or Russian or Baltic etc.

I've made a gajillion stouts and porters before, but never an Imperial.  My thoughts are that this style should be complex and I'd also like to think that I have a reason for everything, but I'll acknowledge that I may be pushing into "muddled" territory.

The approximate Goal:
OG ≈ 1.100
FG ≈ 1.025-1.030
ABV ≈ 11% ish
IBU's ≈ 50
SRM ≈ 40

The Foundation:
42% Deer Creek Pale
21% Briess Golden Light DME - using this for gravity points and to compensate for the limitations of my kettle
7% Deer Creek Dark Munich (20L) - I've gotten nuts, chocolate, toast from this malt before
7% Deer Creek Twilight Wheat (8.5L) - for foam retention primarily, but this malt has a definite almond presence

The "Stout" character:
9% Flaked Barley
7% C120 - hoping to balance the dark malts with a bit of stone fruit, caramel
4.5% Crisp Pale Chocolate (220L) - the only "chocolate" malt that I've ever detected chocolate from.  YMMV.
2.5% Deer Creek Roasted Barley (300L)

Bitter with Magnum
Finish with something...Cascade, Willamette, Northern Brewer.  Or a mix.

2 packs - BRY-97

Homemade vanilla extract at packaging, or vanilla beans in primary for the last few days.  Bottle, then forget it for 6 months to a year.

Thoughts welcome on any or all of this.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Imperial Stout - Comments appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 02:34:43 pm »
Given the flaked barley, you could skip the wheat
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 08:10:20 pm »
I have used Briess Golden DME to increase the gravity in some big beers because of the limits of my kettle, just as you propose. This year I am going to use Dark DME and see what that does. It makes sense to me to use a darker DME in a darker beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 04:43:07 am »
I have used Briess Golden DME to increase the gravity in some big beers because of the limits of my kettle, just as you propose. This year I am going to use Dark DME and see what that does. It makes sense to me to use a darker DME in a darker beer.

Thanks for the reply.  I considered that.  But at 21% of the bill?  Considering I haven’t used extract in 25 years, I thought it was safer to use a pale extract and build my Stout flavors with what I am familiar with.  I’m under the impression that the Golden Light DME will be close to a blank canvas whereas a Dark DME will give me…what exactly?  Will I still need Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malt?  According to Briess, their Dark DME has a flavor profile of “sweet, intense malty”.  Seems that might be best used in small doses??

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 04:46:34 am »
Given the flaked barley, you could skip the wheat

Thanks.  I would probably end up raising the % of flaked barley.  The Twilight Wheat also gives me some DP to help in the mash.  Though I think I’ll be fine without it.  Under consideration.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 08:57:18 am »
I agree about the light extract instead of dark. That way your just adding gravity points without much flavor contribution so you can heve more control with your specialty malts.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 08:21:10 am »
So I brewed that beer above pretty much exactly as written, except I pitched 2 fully-expanded pouches of WY1728 Scottish Ale yeast instead of BRY-97.  Temp range of 1728, according to Wyeast, is 55-75°.

OG was 1.114.

Pitch temp was 65°, +/- a degree.

Set fermenter at 62° ambient.

Temp of wort fell to 62° as fermentation got going in about 6-7 hours, then gradually rose hitting a peak of 70° at high krausen ≈ 2-3 days later.  Fermentation was vigorous (to say the least) for about 4 days and seems to be going as expected.  Temp of wort has now dropped back down to 62° as krausen has fallen and bubbles have slowed considerably.

Would you:
A - leave the wort at 62°?
B - raise the temp to upper 60's?
C - something else
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:32:29 am by Megary »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 02:18:01 pm »
Would you:
C - something else

Increase the temperature
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 05:28:42 pm »
Would you:
C - something else

Increase the temperature

Thanks. It shall be done.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 09:06:18 am »
So I brewed that beer above pretty much exactly as written, except I pitched 2 fully-expanded pouches of WY1728 Scottish Ale yeast instead of BRY-97.  Temp range of 1728, according to Wyeast, is 55-75°.

Would you:
C - something else

Did you make a starter, or just pitch two packs of yeast? At that OG, I'd be afraid of stalling out at a high FG, especially with so much DME in the malt bill. I would definitely rouse the yeast and bump the temp a few degrees. I'd expect full fermentation to take 2-3 weeks, and you probably want to swirl your fermenter every day or so just to help keep your yeast in suspension.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 05:17:18 pm »

Would you:
C - something else

Did you make a starter, or just pitch two packs of yeast? At that OG, I'd be afraid of stalling out at a high FG, especially with so much DME in the malt bill. I would definitely rouse the yeast and bump the temp a few degrees. I'd expect full fermentation to take 2-3 weeks, and you probably want to swirl your fermenter every day or so just to help keep your yeast in suspension.

Thanks for the reply.

No starter, though this is a 3 gallon batch if that matters.

For sure on the time.  I did bump the temp and it’s now sitting at 68, where it will remain for at least another week, maybe 2.

As far as swirling, I hear this a lot but why do I find this unnecessary?  Does swirling a fermenter actually make yeast that has given up now come back to life?  Maybe it does, I really have no idea.  Also, I have a spigot on the fermenter that I will be bottling directly from and I’m a bit concerned that swirling the yeast and trub will only lead to a clogged spigot.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 08:41:43 am »
Having tried swirling many times, I can't say it did anything for me

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 09:02:33 am »
Swirling makes the airlock bubble.  Everybody likes a bubbling airlock.  I makes us smile.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 09:30:57 am »
Swirling makes the airlock bubble.  Everybody likes a bubbling airlock.  I makes us smile.

;D :D ;D ;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 08:17:59 am »
Bottled over the weekend.  1728 took this Imperial Stout from 1.114 ---> 1.027.  That's 76% attenuation and 11.4 ABV, which is a bit more than I expected, but not much more.  Temp never got above 68°.  Sample taste was promising enough, though admittedly a bit green.  Hopefully I can get a fair bit of hardy yeast to give me enough carbonation.  I'll check back next Christmas.   :)