Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Input on sweet stout without lactose.  (Read 885 times)

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Input on sweet stout without lactose.
« on: October 14, 2022, 07:32:44 am »
Would love feedback as I’m planning a sweet stout, have a recipe fleshed out, but would like some input. I’m probably adding cold brewed coffee at kegging and some vanilla. Thinking of swapping the roasted barley for midnight wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Input on sweet stout without lactose.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 08:43:51 am »
Would love feedback as I’m planning a sweet stout, have a recipe fleshed out, but would like some input. I’m probably adding cold brewed coffee at kegging and some vanilla. Thinking of swapping the roasted barley for midnight wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use blackprinz instead of roast barley in sweet stout..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:13:19 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 11:14:02 am »
I would use light DME instead of dark and use the specialty grains to get your color and flavors
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 03:09:09 pm »

recipe looks good imho. i think people have very different taste perceptions on various roasted malts' "bitterness" and "harshness" etc. i have more of an issue with stout use roasted malts that dont have enough assertiveness. so, up to you and your tastes re: roasted malt choices.

I would use light DME instead of dark and use the specialty grains to get your color and flavors

definitely, many dark extracts have stuff like munich, crystal added to the original grist in addition to colouring/roasted malts. it just complicates things in this case.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 09:08:29 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to nix the dark dme for base malt and sub in midnight wheat or black malt for the roasted barley. I do want it to be less assertively roasted to allow the coffee & sweetness to shine through. I’m also dropping the ibus down since I’m putting it on a yeast combo of Nottingham and us-05.

In my region one of my favorite beers is Gotta Get Up to Get Down by Wiseacre out of Memphis. It’s my inspiration here.
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Wicked Wally

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 10:30:53 pm »
I use Black Prinz instead of roasted barley or black patent. My wife used to complain that my stouts tasted like a "wet ashtray". The Black Prinz solved the problem.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 11:59:10 pm »
I use Black Prinz instead of roasted barley or black patent. My wife used to complain that my stouts tasted like a "wet ashtray". The Black Prinz solved the problem.
+1 I agree and do the same thing in my stouts.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 06:39:22 am »
I always use Roasted Barley in my Stouts and have found that the "ashtray level" imparted by this grain is a function of the maltster and percentage of use.  I've landed on 8% Roasted Barley and ≈ 3% of Carafa II.  No ashtray, just a nice touch of roast, as a Stout should be.  My opinion, of course.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 06:49:48 am »
+1. Midnight Wheat adds a nice touch as a substitute as well

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 08:20:08 am »
When I add coffee to a beer, I do not make a pot of coffee and add it to the beer.  I "dry bean" it with whole beans and taste it until I get the flavor I want (usually 3-4 days at room temp). You will get the coffee aroma and flavor but little or no caffeine in the beer.  This works well for me and I have won several medals with my coffee porter, most recently a gold at a local competition a couple weeks ago with a score of 38.  It would have scored higher but I mentioned that there was a touch of rye in the beer from chocolate rye.  I got the slight pepper note from it when tasting it before bottling but the judges did not.  One of the judges said that if I would not have mentioned the rye it would have scored in the 40's.
I'd give the "dry bean" method a try.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 08:31:28 am »
When I add coffee to a beer, I do not make a pot of coffee and add it to the beer.  I "dry bean" it with whole beans and taste it until I get the flavor I want (usually 3-4 days at room temp). You will get the coffee aroma and flavor but little or no caffeine in the beer.  This works well for me and I have won several medals with my coffee porter, most recently a gold at a local competition a couple weeks ago with a score of 38.  It would have scored higher but I mentioned that there was a touch of rye in the beer from chocolate rye.  I got the slight pepper note from it when tasting it before bottling but the judges did not.  One of the judges said that if I would not have mentioned the rye it would have scored in the 40's.
I'd give the "dry bean" method a try.

I do both dry beaning and adding coffee at packaging
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell