Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Pellet Infusion  (Read 851 times)

Offline COFlyGuy

• 1st Kit
  • A cold beer makes a good day!
Hop Pellet Infusion
« on: October 15, 2022, 12:57:14 pm »
My first batch of beer was really hazy as I directly deposited my hops into the wort at the 60 minute mark and then at the 15 minute. I did one final at 0 minutes. 5 days later I did a dry hop into the fermenting wort.

Is there an easy way to keep the hop pellets from making my wort and ultimately my final beer so hazy. I am running only small batches 1-3 Gallon yield. I have been primarily doing BIAB batches so far.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am having a ton of fun brewing and learning more about beer. My current batch is the LTHD22 Hoppy Amber. Will bottle next weekend and then wait for carbonation to end.
You can save the world one brew at a time!
Bacon is the Duct Tape of the food world.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop Pellet Infusion
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:00:22 pm »
My first batch of beer was really hazy as I directly deposited my hops into the wort at the 60 minute mark and then at the 15 minute. I did one final at 0 minutes. 5 days later I did a dry hop into the fermenting wort.

Is there an easy way to keep the hop pellets from making my wort and ultimately my final beer so hazy. I am running only small batches 1-3 Gallon yield. I have been primarily doing BIAB batches so far.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am having a ton of fun brewing and learning more about beer. My current batch is the LTHD22 Hoppy Amber. Will bottle next weekend and then wait for carbonation to end.

Putting the hops in a bag will help somewhat. For me, the best solution is time and cold temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline COFlyGuy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 01:18:48 pm »
Thanks @denny. I appreciate it! Interestingly, even with my beer in the fridge and bottled it is still super hazy. I am going to go with the bag method on my next hop infusion and see what happens. I real do thank you for your answer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 01:47:54 pm »
Thanks @denny. I appreciate it! Interestingly, even with my beer in the fridge and bottled it is still super hazy. I am going to go with the bag method on my next hop infusion and see what happens. I real do thank you for your answer.

If that's the case, it may not be due to hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 01:51:06 pm »
There a lot of causes for haze, but I think hops is pretty far down on the list.
Have you tried gelatin on the finished beer before packaging?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline COFlyGuy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 02:18:56 pm »
No, didn't do any gelatin. Might try that on my next batch.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 03:23:00 pm »
Did you use Whirlfloc or other clarifying agent in the boil? Dry hops add a slight haze. Not using Whirlfloc can leave a lot of protein haze.

Offline COFlyGuy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 07:54:45 pm »
Did you use Whirlfloc or other clarifying agent in the boil? Dry hops add a slight haze. Not using Whirlfloc can leave a lot of protein haze.
I didn't. I will probably get some next time I am at my LHBS.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 07:04:00 am »
How big were your 0-minute and dry hop additions?

The amount and likelihood of hop haze is closely correlated with large flameout/whirlpool additions, and to a lesser extent dry hops, in my experience. I use very large amounts of late hops in my IPA's (1-2 oz/gallon, occasionally more) and they never clear up.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 10:20:55 am »
Was it clear or hazy when in bottles, still warm? (In other words, is this chill haze?)