Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WL American Ale Blend WL060  (Read 2376 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
WL American Ale Blend WL060
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »
Well, I was hoping to use WL Cali V 051 for a series of upcoming ales, but unfortunately the place I buy from was out of stock.

So I got this one instead.

Amazingly, I've not been able to find a lot of reviews/threads online about it - there's one on Brewboard, but it looks to be from someone who had fermentation issues due to underpitching.

Any thoughts/experience?

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: WL American Ale Blend WL060
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:54:26 pm »
I used it in a hoppy American brown ale. Seemed reasonable. Didn't do anything unusual. Not really memorable, but I wasn't looking for the yeast to do anything special. Not the best style for evaluating yeast but it didn't ruin the beer so it's probably fine for what you need to do. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:25:32 am »
I have used it a few times with good ( well at least not bad ) results. Nothing special to make me remember it a lot for the good or bad. The man running my LHBS advised me to not re-use it more than a few times, because the " blend " will change a little with each time. maybe for the better, but maybe not.

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:23:10 am »
hmm...you both seem so "meh" about it that I asked them to hold my order until they got more Cali V in - least I know I should getting fresh vials!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:26 pm »
I had a similar experiance early this summer when trying to get yeast to brew up a batch of Cream Ale for drinking while fishing.  I too was looking for Cal Ale (either 001 or 051) yeast and the homebrew store was out.  So I grabed the 060.

My review is that the beer 6 weeks after ferment was not all that great.  Not bad, but not my best... so it sat around for a few more months... After 12 to 14 weeks, the beer was excellent!!  In fact after a fishing trip, I saved three of the bottles and entered it in competition... got a 42 score with it!

Essentially, the young beer was minerally and sulfery.  As it lagered, however, it took on dryer... more of a pilsner quality.  Still fruity like an ale, but a slightly cleaner quality compared to 001.   

So I would think that for lighter beers that would benefit from a dryer, cleaner finish, I would recommend this yeast over Cal Ale.   Granted, this is a sample of one for me, but it was good enough that I plan on repeating the experiance again.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:50:46 am »
I have used this yeast in the past with some success but just recently I had a terrible time with it. We made an APA, OG 1.063, pitched a 1550ml starter, set temp to 68F and waited, and waited and waited. After three days there wasn't a bit of activity so I went down to the homebrew store and bought another vile of WLP060 and tossed it on top. We waited another couple of days and there was still no activity so we decided to raise the temp a few days, roust the yeast and wait again. After a couple more days there was still no activity so we raised the temp just slightly again. We even checked the gravity once during this time thinking perhaps it did its thing so quick it was done but it was only down to 1.055.

Finally we decided to buy a packet of US-Safale 05 and pitch that to see if we cold save the Frankenstin beer. It's been fermenting now for a few days without any issues. We're not sure if this will even be drinkable at this point and are now considering this an experimental beer, triple yeasted!  I know I will not be using this strain again.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:52:20 am by jwaldner »

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:56:37 pm »
I haven't used this yeast but I can say without a doubt that it's hard to beat WLP051.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:17:51 am »
I haven't used this yeast but I can say without a doubt that it's hard to beat WLP051.

just tasted some a small sample of the porter last night - i'm glad I held out for 051 - its been years since I used this yeast and I just don't know why.