Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finicky Eaters?  (Read 5475 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Finicky Eaters?
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
Anyone know a picky/finicky Eater? I have several friends- one female will only eat pasta and sauce, cheese pizza or plain cheese nachos and Coke. Well she drinks wine but that's all she eats basically. Going out to eat is Mexican or Italian only.

Another (fiancée of colleague) will only eat meat, potatoes, corn and bread. Beef steaks or porkchops. Doesn't even like mac&cheese. He's from Nebraska so maybe I'm judging him too hard. His bride to be is baffled too.

And another extreme case will only eat white-rice and green peas.

I can't help it but my bias is that these people are somehow mentally deficient. I know it's wrong to think this. But Nacho Lady has a Master's degree. She's intelligent. But doesn't she get tired of eating the same thing over and over?

I blame it on the parents indulging the child at some critically wrong stage of their lives. But that's just an assumption. Just can't fathom it. ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Finicky Eaters?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:37:45 pm »
Got an office mate that's strictly meat and potatoes.  Nothing else - and the worst part is, he'll only eat the meat well done - even a good steak!
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:20 pm »
I work with a guy who won't eat vegetables at all.  We go for thai food - he asks for no vegetables.  Sandwich - no vegetables.  Gyros - no vegetables.  I don't get it at all.  He'll eat french fries, but those hardly qualify as a vegetable anyway.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:10 pm »
when i was a kid my best friend would only eat hot dogs and peanut butter-jelly sandwiches. he would never eat hamburgers until we were bowling one day and he got a "beef" burger at the stand.  i said 'i thought you didn't like hamburgers" he stated that it was a beef burger. he had no idea they were the same thing. 
Don AHA member

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:23:35 pm »

I can't help it but my bias is that these people are somehow mentally deficient.

I can't help it either.  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:19 pm »
Anyone know a picky/finicky Eater? I have several friends- one female will only eat pasta and sauce, cheese pizza or plain cheese nachos and Coke. Well she drinks wine but that's all she eats basically. Going out to eat is Mexican or Italian only.

Another (fiancée of colleague) will only eat meat, potatoes,

And another extreme case will only eat white-rice and green peas.

The first one... is a chick.
The second one... will need bypass surgery
The third... will die early of malnutrition

I would probably just serve whatever when they show up - they can go home hungry if the wish. Same with beer - if you ONLY drink "Heineken" for example, well I got a tall glass of cold water for you as an alternate. Yes I like to have happy guests, but I'm not running a restaurant either.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:37:13 pm »
The third will no doubt loose their mind to. The brain needs fat.

Ever seen Woyzeck?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:14:27 pm »
I would probably just serve whatever when they show up - they can go home hungry if the wish.
This reminds me of the time we had some friends over for dinner.  We served a nice grilled salmon (yes Denny, wild Alaskan salmon) and a cucumber salad with rice wine vinegar among other things.  The whole spread was delicious!

Except one of our guests didn't eat salmon.  Or cucumbers.  So she ate a PB&J sandwich like a child, while our 4 year olds chowed salmon and cukes.   ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:00:28 am »
This reminds me of the time we had some friends over for dinner.  We served a nice grilled salmon (yes Denny, wild Alaskan salmon) and a cucumber salad with rice wine vinegar among other things.  The whole spread was delicious! Except one of our guests didn't eat salmon.  Or cucumbers.  So she ate a PB&J sandwich like a child, while our 4 year olds chowed salmon and cukes.   ::)

Wasn't long ago that I might have joined them!  At least, members of my family would've.  I have long hated things like pickled cucumber salads...throw in potato salad (except the German version), macaroni salad, bean salads, anything dressed in sugary vinegar or mayonnaise.  Salmon I can eat, but years ago I wasn't a big fan of many fish.  Which isn't to say I wouldn't have eaten the dinner out of politeness and put on a brave face about it!

On the whole I'm not generally considered picky, though...there's hardly a cuisine in the world I'm not curious about trying my hand at, but you just happened to pick one of the few sorts of things I'm not fond of.  I do like cucumbers fresh though!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 08:21:14 am »
My daughter will go vegetarian for a few months at a time, then demand a bloody leg of lamb or T-bone.  It's no problem, it doesn't REALLY hurt to skip the meat at a meal once in a while.  But ever since my kids were tiny they never had issues with anything, either meat or veggie.  We told them when they were old enough to understand that we don't run a cafe, they don't get a menu at dinner time.  Eat what there  is or go hungry.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 09:20:24 am »
By brother-in-law eats PBJ, plain cheese pizza, and protien shakes. That's it.

He was adopted, and apparently he was started on solid food at an absurdly early age by his birth parents.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 03:49:03 pm »
I am worried for my kids going that route. But not too much. I feel that I am, and my close
friends and neighbors are, eclectic enough that my boys will learn about good food and
know how to enjoy it. My three year old loves his wasabi covered peas, and my spicy
cooking. Hell, when he was two we went to a YardHouse restaurant and I ordered a spicy
gumbo meal but it was served on noodles not rice. He was loving it. My lips were burning
from the spice. He didn't say boo.
Sadly my wife is right there with them, but getting better.  When we finaly got her a passport
we didn't break it in with a quick jaunt to Canada or Mexico. We took her around the world.
It was a challenge for her to eat in Hong Kong and New Dehli. The food was spectacular.
she stuck to rice...She was the smart one though...We came back and it was about 2 months
before we were "solid" again...

I can now take her out for sushi without her cringing...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:26:26 am »
I read some article a while ago about picky eaters and how it is almost a phobia of sorts for some of them.

I think it all has to do with your early experiences with and introductions to food as an infant/toddler, and how your parents approach food and eating.  When I was young, my mom was usually at home making something from scratch, and she'd always get us to help.  It was a lot of fun.  When she went back to work, I was about 12, and I was told that from then on it was my job to have dinner ready for everyone when they got home.  I loved it, and my parents still rave about the meals I used to have ready for them.  Now my mother learns from me how to cook, I taught her how to make real BBQ last year, how to brine and properly roast chicken/turkey, and my dad just laps it all up!

There is a commercial running in Canada lately with a guy in a kitchen saying, "it is your turn to cook, but everyone wants something different.  Plus, who wants to be trapped in this CAGE of a kitchen?  You need to finger cook!  That's right, get online, go our restaurant's website and click on the items your family wants with your finger and we'll deliver it right to your door."  It just makes me sick.

I have one friend who only eats plain hotdogs, plain baked pizza subs from this one restaurant in town (just pepperoni and mozza), french fries, coke, and KFC.  THAT'S IT.  And he dumps salt on everything.  He tells me that fruit and vegetables make him sick.

I worked with another woman who only drank coffee and coke.  She told me that water "tastes icky."

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:45:53 am »
I read some article a while ago about picky eaters and how it is almost a phobia of sorts for some of them.

I think it all has to do with your early experiences with and introductions to food as an infant/toddler, and how your parents approach food and eating. 
My wife and I are good cooks, we rarely ever eat out and that's how our kids were raised.  We also always had  a veggie garden so from the time my kids could crawl they were eating straight from the garden-literally.  I have pictures of my 8 month old daughter eating tomatoes still on the plant, and my son would pull carrots, wipe some dirt off and start eating.  We never harvested enough broccoli because once the head got a couple of inches across a kid would eat it.  To this day they love veggies.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 09:48:26 am »
I worked with another woman who only drank coffee and coke.  She told me that water "tastes icky."

Well there is the old chestnut from W.C. Fields regarding why he never drank water... fish...[BLEEP] in it!