Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: traditional european beers that use a large amount of vienna malt (>50%)?  (Read 770 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
just thinking through recipes ive seen over the years, and just checking kai's recipes page - other than obviously vienna lager, does anyone have any references on the use of vienna malt??

its late at night and i might check ron pattinsons stuff on this or the daft eejit austrian guy's page, but i feel that more officially sourced grists from german and european breweries for various beers use a majority various pilsners, various munich percentages, but cant recall any claimed use of vienna malt. i see it included on a lot of homebrewer's beer recipes of course, but what was vienna used for historically and i guess currently on a commercial scale?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
IIRC, Vienna was the original lightly kilned malt. Anton Dreher used it to concoct something approximating pilsner. Or maybe my old brain is confused.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
IIRC, Vienna was the original lightly kilned malt. Anton Dreher used it to concoct something approximating pilsner. Or maybe my old brain is confused.
If your old brain is confused what chance does mine have?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dopplebock is described as “Pils and/or Vienna malt for pale versions (with some Munich), Munich and Vienna malts for darker ones…”

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
Vienna malt was developed by Dreher to mimic Marzen but created a beer slightly drier and lighter. You might find it creeping into other recipes, but it is only traditionally used in Vienna lager.

Vienna malt doesn't get a lot of use outside of Vienna lager. When people want what it brings as a specialty malt, they usually opt for Munich malt. You can use Vienna malt similarly to Munich in recipes. It's a little lighter and less sweet which is sometimes preferable.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tommymorris

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Vienna malt was developed by Dreher to mimic Marzen but created a beer slightly drier and lighter. You might find it creeping into other recipes, but it is only traditionally used in Vienna lager.

Vienna malt doesn't get a lot of use outside of Vienna lager. When people want what it brings as a specialty malt, they usually opt for Munich malt. You can use Vienna malt similarly to Munich in recipes. It's a little lighter and less sweet which is sometimes preferable.
I think historically the color of Vienna and Munich were very similar.  Nowadays Vienna is lighter than Munich.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
thanks guys, yes i remember now in the anton dreher discussion from andreas krennmaier that yes, vienna malt was just a part of the development towards pale malts.

i find its exact taste hard to put into words besides the obvious malty/bread/more oomph than pilsner/ but not the obvious "oh its munich" round sweet maltiness and colour addition. i find that hard to describe bit as sort of angular/pointy/sharp almost like a microperception of a roasted malt.

in any case, i think im going to do some more open concept lageryeast beers rather than well-traveled m. dunkel/pils/bock etc.