Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Puffed rice  (Read 554 times)

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
Puffed rice
« on: October 24, 2022, 04:57:55 pm »
I am creating a recipe for a Cold IPA from Validation Ale in Santa Barbara that I thought was really terrific.  It calls for Pilsner malt and puffed jasmine rice.  I found a few places that sell puffed jasmine rice to brewers (BSG has it in 25# bags).  I only need less than 3 lbs.  I am wondering can I puff jasmine rice myself?  If so any good instructions out there?  Most include cooking the rices and then frying it in oil.  That doesn't seem like it would go to well in the mash. Can I get this at a specialty Asian store?  Is puffed rice a regular thing?  The photos from the brew supply place make it seem different than some of the Rice Krispy style puffed rice but is it different?  Can I just used cooked jasmine rice?  What is the benefit of "puffing" the rice? I'd appreciate any help you can offer form your experience.  Cheers!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Puffed rice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 06:01:03 pm »
The point of puffed (or torrified or flaked) grains is that the starches are pregelatinized — saving the brewer the trouble of doing a cereal mash. 

I think it would be easier to just do a traditional cereal mash with the jasmine rice than to go to the trouble of trying figure out how to puff my own jasmine rice.

https://beerandbrewing.com/cereal-mashup/
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 04:22:37 pm »
I’m sure Amazon has the quantity you need. Puffing your own rice seems like a hassle.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 01:41:23 pm »
Steam it (after 30 minute soak) until middle is no longer bright and white, i.e. raw. Add to mash tun. Easy.