Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: please help me build a scarlet red ale in memory of my puppy dog  (Read 9978 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
please help me build a scarlet red ale in memory of my puppy dog
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:55:56 pm »
ok, so i found out this week that my beloved dog, scarlet begonias, is in kidney failure and her days are numbered.  we are giving her extra love and so far (knock on wood), she hasn't gotten any worse, although we already know that she will not make it even weeks.  i've had my girl longer than i've had my wife or children and she has been with me through big ups and downs.

i'm having a REAL hard time with this.  i'm a sensative guy, but i've never really "gotten into" pets.  i had no idea something like this would be so hard.

i should tell you about my girl....  she was born in memphis tennessee in 1998.  she is half boxer/half lab and she was supposed to weight about 45 lbs full grown.  she ended up at about 110 at some point and time, but we got her down to about 80 lbs when we put her on a diet a few years ago.  she was NEVER going to weight 45 lbs as she still weighs almost 60 despite losing about 15 pounds the last couple months.

she is (was) a big and strong girl but playful and sweet to a fault.  she was very very very gentle but very protective of our home.  she was our early warning device when people were coming down the street or up to the door.  to this day, her vision and hearing are superb.

i want to brew a big strong (even imperial) red ale in her memory.  this will be a recipe that i hold onto and replicate over and over so long as i am able to brew.  i plan on brewing this beer once a year in her memory.

i've never brewed a red ale, so i'll appreciate all input.

i want something as unique as possible (meaning, i don't want to brew "so and so's" red ale.  i want this to be Scarlet Begonia's Red Ale.

thanks in advance.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: please help me build a scarlet red ale in memory of my puppy dog
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:05:45 pm »
this would probably help....

AHA# 196703

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:06:24 pm »
deepsouth - I"m very, very sorry to hear about your pup. Ain't no shame in admitting you're sad about it - in my eyes, if losing your dog doesn't hit you in some way, then something ain't right with ya  ;).

As you said, this should be your own beer, so I would consider playing around with the following ingredients:

Am 2 row or Maris Otter for base

Specialties

Large amounts:
Crystal 60, 80 or Caramunich
Carared
Biscuit or Victory

Small Amounts (these are mainly for color):
Chocolate or Pale Chocolate
Carafa Special I, II or III

Hops:
C-hops

Yeast: any american strain (Dennys 1450 might complement this perfectly)

Play around with that and see what you come up with.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »

man you're killing me - what a cute dog (handsome kid too).

Very, very sorry.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:15:04 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:16 pm »

man you're killing me - what a cute dog (handsome kid too).

Very, very sorry.

thanks!  it's killing me as well.  like i never expected......

AHA# 196703

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »
sorry to hear about the puppy.   :-[
my dogs are 9 and 10 and hopefully i don't face this for a few more years.  it will break my sons' hearts.

i am a lager guy, but one of my favorite commercial beers is a very hoppy red rye ale.  something about that rye makes it special. I know that there is some other sugar in that recipe as well either brown sugar or something.  something to think about. a little less run of the mill.
Don AHA member

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:24:02 pm »
My heart goes out to you.  I wish I had a good recipe to share.  I made a mead in 2008 in the last weeks of my 15 year old dog's life, figuring I could age it until the day when I could toast her memory without losing it.  I have yet to taste that batch.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:16 pm »
deepsouth - I"m very, very sorry to hear about your pup. Ain't no shame in admitting you're sad about it - in my eyes, if losing your dog doesn't hit you in some way, then something ain't right with ya  ;).

As you said, this should be your own beer, so I would consider playing around with the following ingredients:

Am 2 row or Maris Otter for base

Specialties

Large amounts:
Crystal 60, 80 or Caramunich
Carared
Biscuit or Victory

Small Amounts (these are mainly for color):
Chocolate or Pale Chocolate
Carafa Special I, II or III

Hops:
C-hops

Yeast: any american strain (Dennys 1450 might complement this perfectly)

Play around with that and see what you come up with.

thanks for this.  by large and small amounts, what kind of weights are we talking?

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:46 pm »
sorry to hear about the puppy.   :-[
my dogs are 9 and 10 and hopefully i don't face this for a few more years.  it will break my sons' hearts.

i am a lager guy, but one of my favorite commercial beers is a very hoppy red rye ale.  something about that rye makes it special. I know that there is some other sugar in that recipe as well either brown sugar or something.  something to think about. a little less run of the mill.

i hope you have years as well!  it's so so so so hard.  i can't figure out a way to explain to my five year old that when she leaves, she's not coming back.  he thinks she is...

i love the rye idea as well and i'm totally not opposed to having a red rye ale.  i love the beers i've had with rye in them thus far.

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 01:28:10 pm »
My heart goes out to you.  I wish I had a good recipe to share.  I made a mead in 2008 in the last weeks of my 15 year old dog's life, figuring I could age it until the day when I could toast her memory without losing it.  I have yet to taste that batch.

wow, i'm sorry.  sometimes we (me) forget how special and important our pets are.

AHA# 196703

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »
thanks for this.  by large and small amounts, what kind of weights are we talking?

large - several ounces to pounds

small - a few ounces or less.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:57:45 pm »
Really sorry to hear about this - seeing that picture doesn't help, my own boxer/lab mix just turned 8 and looks a lot like yours.  Fortunately for us, she did stay in the 50 lb range.

For the recipe I'd go with simcoe in the mix with the c-hops, but that's my own personal preference.  And you might consider some sugar in the mix to help dry it out, if you like your beers that way.

Man, really sorry about this.  :(
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 02:06:09 pm »
For the recipe I'd go with simcoe in the mix with the c-hops, but that's my own personal preference.

+1 - how could I forget that!!!

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:19 pm »
My heart goes out to you.  I wish I had a good recipe to share.  I made a mead in 2008 in the last weeks of my 15 year old dog's life, figuring I could age it until the day when I could toast her memory without losing it.  I have yet to taste that batch.

wow, i'm sorry.  sometimes we (me) forget how special and important our pets are.

It took me by surprise at the time as well.  My wife and I told ourselves we'd wait a year before getting another dog, but we only lasted about 6 weeks before getting a puppy.  A house without a dog didn't feel like a home to me.  Unfortunately puppies and old dogs have almost nothing in common, so that was another big adjustment.  A few weeks after getting the puppy, I realized that I didn't miss having A dog in the house, I missed having MY dog in the house.  Live and learn.  Oh, and I'm sure I'll get around to tasting that mead some day.  All the best to you and your family.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »
incidentaly, that commercial beer is two brothers cane and ebel.  may give you an idea of the red rye flavor.
Don AHA member