Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun  (Read 989 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Mash Tun
« on: September 02, 2022, 08:41:38 am »
I found a 10 gallon blue Igloo cooler for 25 bucks on Craig's list.  Gonna grab it and make it into a mash tun.  I know I have just started into the BIAB relm, but what the heck.  I can keep trying both until I get a handle on it.  Seems to me, 25 bucks for a cooler is not a bad deal.  Thoughts? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash Tun
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 09:09:16 am »
If it's the round igloo cooler my experience is that the rectangular ones work better than round ones.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 11:25:30 am »
If it's the round igloo cooler my experience is that the rectangular ones work better than round ones.

It's the rectangle one. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 11:50:41 am »

It's the rectangle one.

Cool. This might give you some ideas on how to set it up.  Www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 05:48:30 pm »
Thanks for that info Denny.  I hated fly sparging with a passion and when you turned me onto batch sparging when I heard you on the BN, I have never looked at fly sparging again.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 01:58:09 pm »

It's the rectangle one.

Cool. This might give you some ideas on how to set it up.  Www.dennybrew.com

Already book marked it.  LOL. I figure why not give it a try, right?  I can still use the kettle my wife got me as my boil kettle and it works great. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 08:52:59 am »
Update to this thread.  I put together the cooler tun using parts from Denny's list.  It was really easy, but I did experience a small amount, I am talking drops, of liquid from the Mini Keg bung.  So, I ordered some food grade sealant and that took care of it.  I have noticed a very small amount, again just a few drops, coming from where the hose goes thru the bung, but it is so small that I am going to go with it for now.  Once I get it set where I want it, i am sure I can get the hose in a way so that this will not be a problem.  Other than that, it will probably make it's maiden voyage today once I get my chores done.  LOL.  Either way, all in I am only out about 45 to 50 bucks on this.  And, it fit my DIY mentality.  LOL.