Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please help me with an equipment issue...  (Read 1222 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Please help me with an equipment issue...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2022, 10:34:57 am »
Can you just jam the tubing snugly through the grommet? That seems like the simplest solution to me. Use keg lube/silicone grease if needed to ensure a good seal.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2022, 10:46:53 am »
Before I started using pressure fermenters with cornie posts, I would use a 3 piece airlock, but take out the inner cap piece and plastic snap on lid, exposing just the fixed inner stem of the airlock base.  I would use tubing over that stem and call it good.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2022, 12:09:30 pm »
Before I started using pressure fermenters with cornie posts, I would use a 3 piece airlock, but take out the inner cap piece and plastic snap on lid, exposing just the fixed inner stem of the airlock base.  I would use tubing over that stem and call it good.
That's what I was doing but the newest airlocks I have been getting have a much wider center post and the tubing is very tricky to get on there.  When I *DO* get it on there, it ends up being so tight that when I go to pull the tubing off the airlock, the post can break.  Fast forward to this morning... I went to see the woman that runs my local supply place and described this to her.  She had tubing that I believe was 5/16" ID and 7/16" OD that fits very snugly into the grommet and also into the end of the silicone tubing.  So this new tubing is just taking the place of the airlock.  She cut 5' of this tubing off for me and when I got home and fit everything together I just snipped about 3" off of it and that's what I'll use.  Hoping to brew later this afternoon and take it for a test drive. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2022, 03:27:27 pm »
Cheers to the right tubing for brewing!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2022, 07:53:41 am »
I brewed an Amber Lager yesterday afternoon/evening (pilsner malt, flaked corn, caramunich, Sterling hops, Omega German Lager 1) and used the tubing.  It worked perfectly.  It's snug in the grommet and also the silicone tubing.  It slides into place a little easier with Starsan and seems secure all the way around.  Should be easy to keep clean and sanitary and when that's not true, I snip another piece off the 5' length.  Easy, simple, effective, inexpensive.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.