Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Decide Between a Top and Bottom Coverstitch Machine  (Read 1096 times)

Offline ArthurAleman

• 1st Kit
How to Decide Between a Top and Bottom Coverstitch Machine
« on: November 04, 2022, 09:55:53 pm »
When it comes to the finishing touches on your sewing projects, a home coverstitch machine is an indispensable and often underappreciated tool that significantly contributes to the final outcome of your craftwork. Understanding which machine will best suit your needs essentially comes down to distinguishing between a top and bottom coverstitch machine. In this guide, we will offer an insightful coverstitch machine comparison, looking at both options to help you make a well-informed choice.

Understanding Top and Bottom Coverstitch Machines

Top and bottom coverstitch machines are designed to create professional-looking hems and seams that have stretch without snapping. Such a machine is indeed a worthwhile investment for any avid sewer looking for a reliable coverstitch machine.

Top Coverstitch Machine

A top coverstitch machine typically has one, two, or three needles and is primarily used for hemming garments from the top side of the fabric. Perfect for activewear, underwear, and other stretchy materials, it allows for stretchability in the stitches.

Bottom Coverstitch Machine

Conversely, the bottom coverstitch machine works on the underside of the fabric, making it less common for home use but ideal for specific professional applications.

Key Differences in Functionality and Applications

The key difference between these two types lies in their operational approach – whether the stitch detail is a priority on the visible top layer or the strength and finish on the bottom layer of the fabric matter more. For those who want to add a professional touch to their garments, the top coverstitch machine is an optimal choice. In contrast, the bottom coverstitch machine is better suited for industrial or commercial use.

Factors to Consider When Choosing a Coverstitch Machine For Home Use

Before purchasing a good coverstitch machine, several factors need to be considered. Not only will these affect your budget, but they'll also influence the type of sewing projects you undertake and, consequently, the features you will require in a machine.

Budget

Top coverstitch machines tend to be more affordable and more readily available than their bottom counterparts. Deciding how much you are willing to spend is a good starting point.

Sewing Projects

Consider the bulk of your sewing projects. Are you a hobbyist who hems garments regularly? Or perhaps professional quality is what you require? Your projects will guide your choice.

Features and Functionality Needs

With an assortment of features available, from simple hems to decorative topstitching, it is essential to evaluate what functionality you truly need in an easy to use coverstitch machine.

Pros and Cons Comparison

Each machine type offers its specific advantages and disadvantages, which we detail below.

Top Coverstitch Machine

Pros
  • Greater versatility for home-use projects
  • Exquisite, flexible topstitching suitable for knits and activewear
  • Ability to produce even stitches at seam intersections, perfect for intricate patterns
  • Spacious work area, free arm, and excellent lighting for easy operation
Cons
  • Limited in professional-quality finishes on the bottom side of the fabric
Bottom Coverstitch Machine

Pros
  • Provides stronger, professional-grade seams
  • Ideal for specific finishes and fabrics
  • Capable of creating elastic stitches perfect for knitting fabrics.
Cons
  • Usually more expensive
  • Less versatile for everyday home sewing
Conclusion

Visiting CraftsSelection website can provide deeper insights into specific models, but ultimately, the decision rests with the individual's sewing style and needs. While the top coverstitch machine offers flexibility and ease for the home sewer, a bottom coverstitch machine may be the preferred option for someone after specialized, professionally finished garments.

Given the considerations discussed, take the time to assess your sewing requirements, read up on our coverstitch machine reviews, and perhaps even test devices if possible. Remember, a reliable coverstitch machine is an investment in your craft, regardless of the type you choose. Whichever direction you lean towards, ensure it aligns with your creative endeavors, and happy sewing!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 12:05:15 am by ArthurAleman »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: PBW as opposed to Oxiclean?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 08:12:21 am »
Oxiclean is good.  PBW is a  it better due to the surfactant used. Craftmeister kicks both their butts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 08:40:39 am »
Oxiclean is good.  PBW is a  it better due to the surfactant used. Craftmeister kicks both their butts.

Gotta agree with Denny.  I bought the Craftmeister and it truly does great.  Not only does it clean my buckets, kegs and parts, but a soak of used bottles and the lables fall right off.  Well, the Racer 5 ones do.  LOL.  Also, I let it sit in the bucket I use for my homemade keg washer and just drop my used bottles in it. Go back a day or two later and off the labels come.  Give the bottles a quick rinse and in the box they go for a later use.  The water is cold, but the stuff keeps working.  I recommend it. 

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 10:16:29 am »

Would you recommend the Craftmeister tablets or not?  Just wondering if you pay slightly more for convenience.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 10:43:53 am »

Would you recommend the Craftmeister tablets or not?  Just wondering if you pay slightly more for convenience.

I didn't think they were still making them. They clean well, but whatever they use to bind them kinda left a residue. I prefer the powders.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 11:28:08 am »
I recently started using a mix of 80% Oxyclean Free and 20% Seventh Generation dishwasher powder. I picked up the suggestion on this forum from a previous post. I apologize that I don’t remember who it was so I could give them credit. Regardless, i feel works just as good as PBW. It’s especially noticeable on my IC which has never been so clean and shiny.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 12:52:41 pm »
I found this article about making a PBW substitute: https://www.howtohomebrewbeers.com/2017/09/recipe-for-making-substitute-pbw-beer.html
Has anyone tried this, or something similar?

Online KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 07:00:50 am »
A couple years back, I did a cost analysis using a mixture of Next Generation, Oxy Clean and TSP 90 and found PBW was cheaper per ounce than a combination of the above when using advertised costs from Amazon.  Costs may be different now.  But I figure: why mess with a good thing?  Nothing beats PBW, imho.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
PBW as opposed to Oxiclean?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 07:11:40 am »
I use B Brite because that’s what the local lady sells and it works.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 07:57:35 am »
Quote from: denny link=topic=38748.mRsg481455#msg481455 date=1667657541
I used some when I was living in a place with no running water, it works well in cold water.
Unfortunately a lot of shops don't carry it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 10:29:51 am »
A couple years back, I did a cost analysis using a mixture of Next Generation, Oxy Clean and TSP 90 and found PBW was cheaper per ounce than a combination of the above when using advertised costs from Amazon.  Costs may be different now.  But I figure: why mess with a good thing?  Nothing beats PBW, imho.

I did an analysis as well before purchasing. I came up with $0.21/ounce for Oxyclean & Seventh Generation mix vs. $0.75/ounce for a 1 pound PBW or $0.44/ounce for the 4 pound container.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 07:35:33 am »

I didn't think they were still making them. They clean well, but whatever they use to bind them kinda left a residue. I prefer the powders.

They still have them on their website. Has anyone tried the liquid PBW? I've never really measured the powdered stuff, always have the vague suspicion I'm using too much when I clean things. The built in measuring thing seems like it would make things easier.