Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More beer style myths from Martyn Cornell  (Read 1661 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: More beer style myths from Martyn Cornell
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2022, 02:30:03 pm »
From what I've seen in some of the lambic groups, Frank Boon and his wife and pretty unhappy about the attention they receive in the book. They made the point that Raf didn't talk to them despite talking about them extensively in the book, which would be a reasonable thing to do even if you found their responses unpersuasive.
I agree. If you’re going to create something you should talk to the subject matter expert to ensure the foundational facts are straight. It brings into question the credibility of the creator.

I recently ran across a video concerning a topic where I am a SME (30+ yrs of field and project management experience). It was glaringly apparent the creator did not consult an expert. The editing, animation, and presentation were all well done but the basic facts were simply wrong.  It ruined the entire presentation to the point that the creator has been discredited.

OTOH, the book points out that Boon has self interst in preserving his story.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 11:07:18 am »
From what I've seen in some of the lambic groups, Frank Boon and his wife and pretty unhappy about the attention they receive in the book. They made the point that Raf didn't talk to them despite talking about them extensively in the book, which would be a reasonable thing to do even if you found their responses unpersuasive.
I agree. If you’re going to create something you should talk to the subject matter expert to ensure the foundational facts are straight. It brings into question the credibility of the creator.

It certainly justifies questioning the integrity of the book. He spoke to both Cantillon (Jean Van Roy wrote the foreword) and Drie Fonteinen (both are the only places to buy his book right now) extensively but none of the other brewers or blenders appear. It's not the ideal approach but, conversely, he talks to people in Boon's history and uses resources directly from Boon. Boon has a self-serving interest in maintaining his own narrative, as does the rest of the HORAL members, so it may have been fruitless to hear them repeat what they already publish in their marketing materials.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

More beer style myths from Martyn Cornell
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 05:54:44 am »

I believe he has a pretty good reason to preserve his self interest and should have at least been consulted. The same way Maytag has self interest in Steam beer.  Just me I guess.

If you really want to discuss a made up style I nominate Italian Pils. Basically, it’s a brewery’s attempt at a German Pils, even brewed with German ingredients, but dry hopped. Apparently, the brewery credited with ‘inventing’ the style opened in 1995-96 (Birrificio Italiano Tipopils (literally ’The Italian Beer Factory Type of Pils’) in Milan).

…but dry hopping was never verboten in the German brewing law and was taught at Weihenstephan since at least 1907.

In America, there were breweries brewing all malt Pilsners that were dry hopped with German hops before prohibition, so it’s not like the style was invented in Italy.

I like dry hopped Pils. …but a style based on one beer from one brewery?

Whatever….
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 11:17:10 am by BrewBama »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2022, 12:18:42 pm »

I believe he has a pretty good reason to preserve his self interest and should have at least been consulted. The same way Maytag has self interest in Steam beer.  Just me I guess.

If you really want to discuss a made up style I nominate Italian Pils. Basically, it’s a brewery’s attempt at a German Pils, even brewed with German ingredients, but dry hopped. Apparently, the brewery credited with ‘inventing’ the style opened in 1995-96 (Birrificio Italiano Tipopils (literally ’The Italian Beer Factory Type of Pils’) in Milan).

…but dry hopping was never verboten in the German brewing law and was taught at Weihenstephan since at least 1907.

In America, there were breweries brewing all malt Pilsners that were dry hopped with German hops before prohibition, so it’s not like the style was invented in Italy.

Whatever….
Isn't New Zealand pilsner the same kind of thing? A pilsner but with new world hops?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 11:43:51 am »

Whatever….
Same kind of marketing gimmick just like "Cold" IPA.

Irish Red is a style I personally really enjoy. Wexford Irish Ale is so good. They don't call it an Irish Red, but that's just what it is.
Jesse