Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Removing Diacetyl  (Read 1845 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Removing Diacetyl
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 10:40:02 am »
The traditional lager brewing didn't have a diacetyl rest, just a looonnng time at Lagering temps.

One way to look at it is that it is something like an integral of area under the time temperature curve with Arrhenius factor thrown in.

+1 even new approaches to lager brewing (pressure fermenting, for example) can benefit from a little lagering (in serving kegs or bright tanks) than with typical ales.  Ultimately, though, pitching sufficiently healthy (not too many re-pitches) and freshly harvested (from fermenter to pitch on the same day when possible) yeast avoids diacetyl build up in most instances in my experience. YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 11:35:56 am »
The traditional lager brewing didn't have a diacetyl rest, just a looonnng time at Lagering temps.

One way to look at it is that it is something like an integral of area under the time temperature curve with Arrhenius factor thrown in.

+1 even new approaches to lager brewing (pressure fermenting, for example) can benefit from a little lagering (in serving kegs or bright tanks) than with typical ales.  Ultimately, though, pitching sufficiently healthy (not too many re-pitches) and freshly harvested (from fermenter to pitch on the same day when possible) yeast avoids diacetyl build up in most instances in my experience. YMMV, of course.

THIS. Pitch a sufficient quantity of healthy yeast and give it time to work.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 11:57:59 am »
If you want to explore other chemically enzymatic additive approaches to cleaning up diacetyl there is the Alpha Acetolactate Decarboxylase (ALDC) route:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02914029

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 03:45:33 pm »
people have said a lot of solutions and prevention tips for next time. if i were you and you want a beer that is extremely good for your friends and the due date was dec 20 or later, i would just start fresh, i think you have some decent temp controls. correct size starter or dry packets, start cold, ramp temperature according to the fast lager ferment schedule people often do nowadays, stay at ~60 to 62 or whatever is recommended after ferment is complete for 2 to 4 days. cold crash it and let it sit for as long as you'd like at cold temps until a week before you keg it.

you still have time for this for sure. a "fast lager" schedule does not mean a bad fermentation at all, i think the vast majority of brewers who have tried it find it great.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 04:10:38 pm »
Yessir! Just brewed up another 10 gallons. Pils, split batch with Diamond and W-34/70. Hope this one turns out good.

Oddly enough, my official taste tester just confirmed that the beer in question is diacetyl free.

I am brewing more, and enjoying it less. Getting tired of off flavors!

And I follow the book to avoid these issues, employing a 90 minute boil, rapid cool down, good healthy yeast, etc.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 06:04:16 pm »
Yessir! Just brewed up another 10 gallons. Pils, split batch with Diamond and W-34/70. Hope this one turns out good.

Oddly enough, my official taste tester just confirmed that the beer in question is diacetyl free.

I am brewing more, and enjoying it less. Getting tired of off flavors!

And I follow the book to avoid these issues, employing a 90 minute boil, rapid cool down, good healthy yeast, etc.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29554.0

dont stress about it. maybe im wrong but i find lager yeasts to not be extremely difficult to handle. just do a good d-rest and know the beer isnt going to be "ruined" from sitting at the low 60s or mid 60s for several days. it will be great.