Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dropped Aeration wand into fermentor.  (Read 539 times)

Offline Russ Swier

• 1st Kit
Dropped Aeration wand into fermentor.
« on: November 20, 2022, 10:02:10 am »
When aerating my wort of an Irish Stout, the wand blew off the end of the O2 line dropping to the bottom of my Catalyst fermenter. The fact that I could not see it or that I would not be able to close the bottom valve later had me wondering what to do. I did the unthinkable. Soaked my arm in Star San and retrieved it. What are the possible problems I might encounter and what should I expect?
Thanks for any info.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Dropped Aeration wand into fermentor.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 10:27:33 am »
It'll probably be just fine. A good pitch of healthy yeast should outcompete anything that you may have introduced to the wort.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 10:31:37 am »
When aerating my wort of an Irish Stout, the wand blew off the end of the O2 line dropping to the bottom of my Catalyst fermenter. The fact that I could not see it or that I would not be able to close the bottom valve later had me wondering what to do. I did the unthinkable. Soaked my arm in Star San and retrieved it. What are the possible problems I might encounter and what should I expect?
Thanks for any info.
I have to admit I have done this (soaked my arm in Starsan and fished something from the wort). In my case, all came out fine.  There is definitely a risk of infection.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 10:35:50 am »
No problem in my experience
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dropped Aeration wand into fermentor.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 11:35:00 am »
I’ve done the ‘arm soak retrieve’ myself. Turned out fine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 12:38:11 pm by BrewBama »

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 11:46:22 am »
Using a stainless wand or other material? If used stainless wand that was cleaned and sanitized, I would not worry about it.

Come up with a cleaver name for the brew. "Magic Wand Stout". When friends drink the stout and ask about the name you then have a funny story to tell.