Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help for high water temps for chilling wort  (Read 1409 times)

Offline human2point0

• 1st Kit
Help for high water temps for chilling wort
« on: November 12, 2022, 07:52:50 am »
I'm a US expat living in Thailand. Our water isn't underground like in the US, it's stored in tanks above ground. my latest reading was 78 degrees from the tap. What in your opinion is my best way to cool my wort down quickly under these circumstances?

After a couple responses, I should add that I'll be using the Brewzilla 65L gen 4 all in one. it comes with an immersion chiller however I'm not opposed to buying something else if its more effective.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:00:20 am by human2point0 »

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Help for high water temps for chilling wort
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 08:17:05 am »
Put kettle in bin filled with ice water and/or run hose for wort chiller thru bin of ice water.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Help for high water temps for chilling wort
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 08:56:09 am »
In the Summer our ground water is warm. I cool by recirculating thru a HERMS by using tap water to cool the wort to ~100°F. Then, I remove the now hot water and add ~20# of ice to the HERMS vessel. That takes it the rest of the way to pitch temp.

I used to use a pond pump in a bucket full of ice water and recirculate thru an immersion chiller when I used it.

I recently bought a tabletop ice maker so I don’t use all the ‘house’ ice in my brewery. It makes ~26# in 24 hrs. I collect it in big plastic bags that malt came in from Northern Brewer. I store the full bags in the freezer. That keeps mama happy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 08:59:29 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 09:05:37 am »
Just do no chill. I have had great success with it, as have many others.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline human2point0

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 09:17:00 am »
In the Summer our ground water is warm. I cool by recirculating thru a HERMS by using tap water to cool the wort to ~100°F. Then, I remove the now hot water and add ~20# of ice to the HERMS vessel. That takes it the rest of the way to pitch temp.

I used to use a pond pump in a bucket full of ice water and recirculate thru an immersion chiller when I used it.

I recently bought a tabletop ice maker so I don’t use all the ‘house’ ice in my brewery. It makes ~26# in 24 hrs. I collect it in big plastic bags that malt came in from Northern Brewer. I store the full bags in the freezer. That keeps mama happy.

Interesting! I've never even heard of this approach before!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 09:35:32 am »
I also use tap water part way down, then use a container full of ice water with a pond pump. The pump doesn't give as much flow as I would like through the immersion chiller, but it is good enough.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 10:14:26 am »
Florida brewer here.  I also recirculate through ground water until the temp drops below 95, then switch to ice water which I recirculate in my cold liquor tank
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 05:12:59 pm »
I'm a professional brewer and I can assure you that many pros can't chill their wort all the way to pitching temps and have to rely on the temperature-controlled tank to get the temperature of the wort into the correct range. As long as your sanitation techniques are sound you can wait 6-12 hours to pitch yeast. This gives you plenty of time to get the fermentation temperature down. As a homebrewer I would often cool to about 80F, put my wort in my fermenter and then cool the fermenter in my temperature controlled chest freezer and pitch the next morning. I never had a problem with this.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 05:55:58 pm »
I'm a professional brewer and I can assure you that many pros can't chill their wort all the way to pitching temps and have to rely on the temperature-controlled tank to get the temperature of the wort into the correct range. As long as your sanitation techniques are sound you can wait 6-12 hours to pitch yeast. This gives you plenty of time to get the fermentation temperature down. As a homebrewer I would often cool to about 80F, put my wort in my fermenter and then cool the fermenter in my temperature controlled chest freezer and pitch the next morning. I never had a problem with this.
This is what I do, the homebrewer part.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 06:29:05 am »
Yesterday I chilled to 70, put it in the fermentation fridge and pitched a few hours later.  But I know a brewer who pitches warm (high 60’s) and lets it kick off fermentation, then cools it down.

Aerate after chilling.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline human2point0

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 08:48:04 am »

Thank you! this is sound advice!

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 07:57:09 am »
Another Florida homebrewer here.

It's a struggle to chill below 100F with my copper immersion chiller. Once I get it down in that neighborhood, I transfer to a bucket fermenter and use my chest freezer with an Inkbird temp controller to chill the rest of the way.  I wrap the probe to the side of the fermenter and set my desired pitch temp. I usually reach pitch temp before bed time.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 09:55:13 am »
I usually cool to mid 60s, then let it sit for an hour for everything to settle, then transfer to the fermenter and pitch the yeast. If I only cool to the 80s, will the break material still settle out if I let it sit for an hour or would I end up transferring more trub?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 02:18:39 pm by Richard »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 02:19:03 pm »
No answer for a couple of days, so I will try it this week and see what happens.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 02:30:26 pm »
No answer for a couple of days, so I will try it this week and see what happens.

It will settle just the same
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell